Hong Kong
Joined 5701 days ago

34 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Cantonese*, Mandarin, English, SpanishB1, Portuguese
Studies: German
Studies: Italian, French, Catalan

Message 9 of 28
07 October 2008 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
I think the courses are wasting time because you are limited your talent and you schedule.
I've learned languages by myself for 1 year. During this period, I could learn them freely. Also, you can set the schedule or the procese in a flexible way.
So, I can learn many languages in 1 day, espeacilly in the holidays.
If you are the language lover, it is the best way for you!And I strongly recommend you to study them by yourself!
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5799 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 28
07 October 2008 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
One more thing.
He also misses the most common reason for classes failing: most classes are once-a-week evening classes. Over a year, they spend the equivalent of a week or two of full-time study, but with massive gaps in between. The only way to learn efficiently is to learn quickly* -- if you leave too long between lessons you'll spend most of the class revising earlier material and you'll never get anywhere.

* By this I mean relatively quickly. I don't mean in a week, three months, whatever. I mean learning 80-90% of the language in the space of two or three years.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 11 of 28
07 October 2008 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
In my opinion, your real learning is not in the class - it is in the times in between.

Northstar
China
chineseontheairRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5692 days ago

19 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 12 of 28
07 October 2008 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
In my opinion, your real learning is not in the class - it is in the times in between.

I think you are absolutely right, a Chinese saying says "The master lead you and teach you the basic things and you lead yourself to learn more."
师傅领进门,修行靠个人。

dutos
Argentina
Joined 5701 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 28
07 October 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Great expression Northstar!!

Erubey
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6018 days ago

82 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 14 of 28
07 October 2008 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
All classes tell you straight out you need to do work outside the class for the class to actually serve you at all. Its not their fault barely anybody does it. He should just rename the article to "Why lazy people can't learn languages" and that's all you need to say.

Deecab
Diglot
United States
Joined 5749 days ago

106 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: English, Korean*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 28
07 October 2008 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
The reason language class may not work is time factor. Classes just feel too much like a job. Go to class, do your writing homework that teacher assigns and study by yourself on your time. That doesn't sound fun.

If you study by yourself, you can handle time better and know when would be the best time to study. Sometimes our schedule in life changes. Language classes eliminate such spontaneous cycle.

How about doing a bit of studying, then talking to native, listen to some music, drama, and TV show in the language. Sounds much more fun and encouraging to me.

Having fun is important when learning languages. I can be learning hard language like Polish but if I have fun, I would not be shocked to learn it faster than I learn Spanish, a language that's often said to be the easiest for English native.

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6022 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 16 of 28
10 October 2008 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
I have a huge experience over language classes involving groups......honestly I cannot get along well with some classmates.....that's why nowadays I'd rather take private classes....I can speak out whatever I want and then there's no anyone staring at you angrily...

However, I've acquired more words by studying on my own.....

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version