Canada
theblazblog.blogspotRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5402 days ago

120 posts - 176 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Swahili, French, Sign Language, Esperanto

Message 105 of 162
27 February 2010 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
I can write up some Swahili lessons. Is there an explanation on how to add pages through
the wiki system? I made an account and tried to create a page called 'Multilang/Lesson
1/Swahili' and it said it was locked for editing. I could just post the content here but
I'd really prefer to learn how the wiki system works for the future.
1 person has voted this message useful

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6188 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 106 of 162
27 February 2010 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
The Blaz wrote:
I can write up some Swahili lessons. Is there an explanation on how to add pages through
the wiki system? I made an account and tried to create a page called 'Multilang/Lesson
1/Swahili' and it said it was locked for editing. I could just post the content here but
I'd really prefer to learn how the wiki system works for the future.

I have started a Swahili page for you to edit. I think the best place to learn the basics are on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cheatsheet

As far as getting a locked message, I am not sure about that. I have never seen that message. Perhaps you and I were both trying to edit the same page at the same time.

Edited by senor_smile on 27 February 2010 at 9:12pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6272 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 107 of 162
27 February 2010 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
I think the issue may be that you need an account and a verified e-mail address. I had to
add this precaution because lots of spam-bots found the wiki at some point. Go to
http://www.learnlangs.com/coursewiki/index.php?title=Special :Userlogin to sign
up; it's really quick. Then click on the link in your e-mail. If you still get an error
trying to edit pages, double-check if you're logged in.

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6188 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 

Message 108 of 162
27 February 2010 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I have finished Spanish multilang pages up to Lesson 2. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

The Blaz
Canada
Joined 5402 days ago

120 posts - 176 votes 

Message 109 of 162
27 February 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Ah, thanks. The confirmation email was tagged as spam so I didn't see it.

The Blaz
Canada
Joined 5402 days ago

120 posts - 176 votes 

Message 110 of 162
28 February 2010 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Swahili Lesson 1 & 2 up!

And Senor Smile, I recall learning it is an Anglicism to say 'No problema'. I think 'No
hay problema' is correct.

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6188 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 

Message 111 of 162
28 February 2010 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
The Blaz wrote:
Swahili Lesson 1 & 2 up!

And Senor Smile, I recall learning it is an Anglicism to say 'No problema'. I think 'No
hay problema' is correct.

That may be very true. I learned Spanish in the south of the US and my main person verifying has lived here since he was a teenager, so many of the "Americanisms" seem completely natural to him now. I meet with a native tutor from Argentina on Monday and will be verifying my translations weekly with her. I will see what she thinks and update accordingly. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

The Blaz
Canada
Joined 5402 days ago

120 posts - 176 votes 

Message 112 of 162
28 February 2010 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
Maybe this has already been discussed but I wanted to raise a critical question.

Specifically, what is the real value-added of this project? The lessons are all written so that English-speakers can learn the L2 - but there is really no lack of resources out there (many free) for English speakers to learn a language. Some of the languages that have been started are less well resourced so I can see the value of having them created, but for other languages it seems redundant. And how much enthusiasm do we really have for creating a new resource for helping English-speakers learn a new language?

The Tatoeba project seems like a better model for universal education, wherein people of any language can learn any other language through linked sentences. I realize the wiki is a more linear design that the Tatoeba linked database system. But I think it's worth a thought to look at our motivations and consider actual language resource needs out there.

Mes 2 sous...

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version