forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 17 of 22
07 November 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
TerryW wrote:
OK, I give up. If Spanish is your native language, and you write English as good (or should that be "well"?) or better than I do, why would you need parallel texts?

1) Because they are an excellent teaching tool.
2) Because doing so will help me to further polish my tools to produce parallel texts.
3) Because the more awesome-looking parallel texts I have to show, the more likely it is I can find someone that helps me to put my skills to some profitable use.
:)

2 persons have voted this message useful

On_the_road
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4550 days ago

23 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 18 of 22
21 November 2011 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Sherlock Holmes is great :) Thanks for sharing this!
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6376 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 19 of 22
21 November 2011 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
mrwarper, I hope you'll share those parallel texts with us when you're done!
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 20 of 22
21 November 2011 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
mrwarper, I hope you'll share those parallel texts with us when you're done!

Of course :)

I have a preliminary version of "A study in scarlet" here.
For those obsessed with paper, I've prepared a PDF of the first two chapters. It is optimized for viewing on iRex DR1000S readers (printed area is 15.5 x 19cm, portrait, 2mm margins).

Typo reports and comments on format, etc. are welcome.

Edited by mrwarper on 21 November 2011 at 6:12pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

TerryW
United States
Joined 6151 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 21 of 22
05 February 2014 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
With the recent success of the U.S. TV series "Elementary, with Johnny Lee Miller playing a modern day
Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Liu playing a female Dr. Watson:

"Elementary" on YouTube

And also the incredibly good BBC/PBS series "Sherlock, " where Benedict Cumberbatch plays an even more
modern, very high-tech Sherlock Holmes:

PBS Sherlock series on YouTube

(Check out the reviews on Amazon),

I'm bumping this old thread yet again, so that new HTLAL users can find out about the free online Spanish
PDFs of ALL of the original Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Sherlock novels and short stories (see the first post in this
thread).

MrWarper, your parallel text of Study in Scarlet (link above) is fantastic, thanks. No, I don't know anything
about the rights to the illustrations in The Strand.

(Edit: After mrwarper's post following this one, I zapped Aidan Quinn in favor of Johnny Whatsisname,
removed Warner Bros. and corrected to mrwarper's comments following this post)

Edited by TerryW on 06 February 2014 at 11:07pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 22 of 22
06 February 2014 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
TerryW wrote:
With the recent success of the U.S. TV series "Elementary, with Aidan Quinn playing a modern day Sherlock Holmes [...]

Actually Aidan Quinn and some black guy play the cops buzzing around Holmes (but not Lestrade, that's still a Brit that crosses the pond in some episode), Holmes is played by Jonny Whatshisname (the guy from Eli Stone).

I haven't checked any of the series in detail yet, the idea of messing around with stories and rewriting them tends to put me off*. I saw a couple episodes of both and they're not nearly as bad as I have come to expect lately, though. I'll probably end up watching them for real. I have the movie with Downey Jr. pending too :)

*A specially bad case is when something is totally rewritten and yet the 'authors' insist in keeping the names, as if they lack confidence in their product and want to succeed off the fame of the original. A counter example to that would be L&O: Criminal Intent, an excellent series standing on its own merits but heavily inspired in the Sherlock Holmes stories too. However, it's not so easy to realize if one is not paying some attention to it.

Quote:
(Mr. Warner,

I'll warn you none of the brothers are known to partake in this forum ;)

Quote:
the links to your parallel versions - post right in front of this one- no longer work, do you have them and/or others accessible online someplace?)

The draft for the whole novel is still there, check it. The PDF, especially being partial, was more a proof-of-concept thing, so I eventually erased it. For those who really need that, we can discuss how to make PDFs from the HTML (online) versions I still intend to produce*, and/or why PDF is an afterthought of sorts.

*When I get round to it / if someone is interested enough as to offer themselves to lend a hand and proofread, etc.

BTW, don't you happen to know more about Strand Magazine and the copyright of the images used in the Spanish versions, by any chance?

Edited by mrwarper on 06 February 2014 at 10:05pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version