Italy
Joined 5919 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 33 of 39
24 December 2008 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
I guessed so.

It's the incipit of Täällä Pohjantähden alla (Under the North Star, 1959-63) by Väinö Linna. While his Tuntematon sotilas (The Unknown Soldier, 1954) is his most famous novel and probably the most known novel in Finnish in Finland, this incipit, I think, is the most known beginning of any Finnish novel.
1 person has voted this message useful

FrancescoP
Octoglot
Italy
Joined 5760 days ago

169 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, German, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Norwegian
Studies: Georgian, Japanese, Croatian, Greek

Message 34 of 39
24 December 2008 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
My favourite Finnish novel (F. E. Sillanpää's "Hurskas kurjuus") also features a protagonist called Jussi. Wish I could read it in the original... I wondered for a second but it didn't really sound like the right answer

Satoshi
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5633 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 35 of 39
25 December 2008 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
Someday I will have that level of Finnish... But first I must look after my japanese.

The A=A bit I knew, but I admit to googling it to be sure of the author. I thought it was Aristotle, but it seems the actual "A is A" is credited to Leibniz.

It is a very basic principle in philosophy.

--

FrancescoP, if archaic portuguese gets you going, try some of the trovas, written in galego-português.

--

My turn:

"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."

Who said that?

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5958 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 36 of 39
29 December 2008 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Satoshi wrote:
Someday I will have that level of Finnish... But first I must look after my japanese.

The A=A bit I knew, but I admit to googling it to be sure of the author. I thought it was Aristotle, but it seems the actual "A is A" is credited to Leibniz.

It is a very basic principle in philosophy.

--

FrancescoP, if archaic portuguese gets you going, try some of the trovas, written in galego-português.

--

My turn:

"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."

Who said that?

Some scientist, Richard Feynmann? Robert Oppenheimer? Carl Sagan?

Satoshi
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5633 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 37 of 39
02 January 2009 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
Yes, 'twas Sagan!

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5958 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 38 of 39
02 January 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
My turn now:

サンタクロースをいつまで信じていたかなん てことはたわいもない世間話にもならないく らいのどうでもいいような話だが、それでも 俺がいつまでサンタなどという想像上の赤服 じーさんを信じていたかと言うとこれは確信 を持って言えるが最初から信じてなどいなか った。

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6770 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 39 of 39
12 November 2009 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
Here the incipit of one of the best book ever written

"En un lugar de la Mancha , de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme , no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor "

(Don Quijote de la Mancha")

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version