Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5756 days ago

65 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 32
17 December 2008 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
I was wondering, for those members of the forum who have achieved native fluency in a foreign language - by studying it formally and preferibly having started it later in life (late teens, early twenties) - how long did it take you to achieve this? And how did you do it? This question is specifically for people who have 'mastered' a European language, but people who have mastered languages from other branches can give their input too.
1 person has voted this message useful

Feculent
Switzerland
Joined 5957 days ago

136 posts - 144 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German

Message 2 of 32
18 December 2008 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
I haven't done it yet =P But I have a Czech friend who did it with English, she learnt it at school for ages and then one day she realised she could understand large chunks of English tv. When this happened she got kinda obsessed with understanding English, practiced her fluency a bit with some Canadian relatives and now.. Well she recently started boarding at my English school and when I met her I thought she was from somewhere in America!! I think her accent's Canadian I don't really know American accent's very well though, it's probably a bit different but I was certain that English was her first language even though an American or Canadian would struggle to put a finger on where she comes from. And the embarassing bit, she gets the same grades as I do in English for English people!

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6461 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 3 of 32
18 December 2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
I have achieved native fluency in French according to my standards (which means that I speak as fluently as a Frenchman but retain a slight accent that makes people wonder if I might be Belgian or Swiss). I had seven years of French in school (starting at the age of 10), took a one-semester French course at university and then lived in France for four years, continuously trying to improve my French.

That would be a total of 11 years of (dedicated) study.

2 persons have voted this message useful

altito425
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5756 days ago

65 posts - 70 votes 

Message 4 of 32
18 December 2008 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Impressive stories. I wonder, though, if there's anyone on the forum who has mastered a language that they started studying at around 17 (or even later) and managed to obtain native fluency.

Edited by altito425 on 18 December 2008 at 8:35pm

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5711 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 32
18 December 2008 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
This guy isn't on this forum, but anyway... his (pseudo) name is "khatzumoto" ... he started learning Japanese when he was 20 years old (I think), and learned it to native level fluency in ~3 years, I believe.

He has a website: www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog

altito425
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5756 days ago

65 posts - 70 votes 

Message 6 of 32
18 December 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
maya_star17 wrote:
... he started learning Japanese when he was 20 years old (I think), and learned it to native level fluency in ~3 years, I believe.

Wow.

jimbo baby!
United States
Joined 5773 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 32
18 December 2008 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
maya_star17 wrote:
This guy isn't on this forum, but anyway... his (pseudo) name is "khatzumoto" ... he started learning Japanese when he was 20 years old (I think), and learned it to native level fluency in ~3 years, I believe.

He has a website: www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog

Is there any audio or video of him speaking the language? I would like to see for myself how fluent he is.

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5711 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 32
18 December 2008 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
jimbo baby! wrote:
Is there any audio or video of him speaking the language? I would like to see for myself how fluent he is.
Not yet, but I think he said in one of his posts that he was hoping to get some video of him in Japanese up soon or something.

At any rate, he currently lives and works in Japan... something to do with computers. If I remember correctly, his resume and interview were 100% in Japanese, so I'm guessing he's pretty darn fluent.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version