19 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
bondok525
Egypt
Joined 5575 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English

Message 9 of 19
13 February 2009 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
I really excited to tell you easy way to find books of learning french only enter WWW.scribd.COM you really will find more than you expected.
1 person has voted this message useful

.automne
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 5639 days ago

56 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: French

Message 10 of 19
19 February 2009 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Thanks all. I just ordered some books from amazon.fr based on your suggestions.

I've found reading to be the best way for me to learn both vocabulary and grammar. After reading the same conjugation again and again it tends to stick better than when trying to memorize some out of context verb table or word list.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 19
09 November 2009 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
I've read the first chapter of several books in French, including book 4 of Harry Potter. However, this weekend I picked up Le Grande Aventure de la langue française, a translation of The Story of French. The English version was written by two journalists from Montreal.

Anyway, I read 100 pages in the last two days, which is a first for me—it's the first time that I feel like I'm really reading French. The book is a really interesting history of French, and the vocabulary is slightly easier than Harry Potter, because the topic is slightly more abstract. I'm currently missing 0–6 words per page, and picking up quite a few more from context, cognates and root forms. (The words that I miss outright get underlined and looked up in the dictionary later. If they seem useful, they go into my SRS system.)

And if you want a parallel text, you can always buy la version anglaise originale. So if you're really interested in the history of French, it's worth looking for.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5604 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 12 of 19
10 November 2009 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
My first French book was "Bonjour Tristesse" by Françoise Sagan...I've also found Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt easy to read

Elwing
Tetraglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5319 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: Swedish, Finnish*, English, French
Studies: Norwegian

Message 13 of 19
21 November 2009 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
gebandemuishond wrote:
Le Petit Nicolas - I think was the first french book I ever read and I'd definitely recommend it.

I would recommend 'Le Petit Nicolas' as well. We read/studied it in class and had lots of fun doing it. It's a good read if you're looking for something easy. Our teacher told us that the reason she had chosen it was that it would encourage us by making us realise that we can read in French and that books in French don't necessarily have to be difficult.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6489 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 14 of 19
03 March 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
I decided to revive this thread since I need some more suggestions. I want to buy one or two French books for my father who is picking up his long neglected French. He's 63, and even though I do imagine he would enjoy Harry Potter, I don't want to get him that, and I'm pretty sure he's read The Stranger (although I may get him that one anyway). He is a great fan of classic Disney and adventure stories (Narnia never gets old), as well as works on history, but his learning pace is very slow (he's also studying Tigrinya and Polish and spends hours every day playing the guitar and the piano....) so I'm looking for rather short books that he can actually have a chance of finishing. He's been "picking it up" for a year now, and he's not too bad.

I know I should be able to find easy French reads myself, but all the easy books I can remember reading are quite... feminine. Not sure that would be all too popular with an old hunter (another one of his passions).

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4468 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 19
03 March 2012 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
I found Jules Verne quite readable - the language has some tricky points (simple passé, some specialized vocabulary) but all in all it is pretty straightforward and engaging reading.
The difficult parts (some naval terms etc.) often aren't necessary for the understanding.

And I wouldn't be so sure he won't enjoy Harry Potter. I picked the book as adult for myself, looking for easy reading in English.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6489 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 16 of 19
03 March 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
You are absolutely right about Verne, I forgot about him! And as I said, he probably would like Harry Potter, but it's so cliché and... I don't like Harry Potter, so I'd rather give him something else ;)

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version