Germany
Joined 5896 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 17 of 19
03 March 2012 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
I think the Lernkrimis are really helpful. The stories are not that great but the vocabulary and grammar are limited whatever CEFR level it's listed at, and some of them come with CDs. The books are not long and they're relatively cheap. You can find this one, which is B1 or three-stories-in-one at Amazon.fr.

edit: comprehension excercises and glossaries are in German, I forgot to mention that, sorry..

Edited by Sunja on 03 March 2012 at 2:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Christine
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6437 days ago

41 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Modern Hebrew

Message 18 of 19
03 March 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
As I found out just yesterday, I'm about B1 in French (yet my active knowledge of the language, i. e. writing and speaking, is definitely lower), and I have picked up copies of "Le petit prince" and François Lelord's "Le Voyage d'Hector" in the past. The first was indeed more difficult than I had expected, but hey, it teaches you vocabulary such as "to swallow sb." or "monkey-bread tree". ;-) The difficulty of "Hector" was all right. I missed several words per page (despite the fact that I have a German "Reclam" edition for learners of the respective language that includes explanations of the most difficult words), but I am still able to follow the story.

I'd love to read Harry Potter in French (I already read the first four volumes in German and all seven of them in English), but when I once had the opportunity to glance through the first volume in a Munich bookstore, had to realize that I lack much of the vocabulary, especially when it comes to descriptions of the surroundings.

Another book I'd like to give a try in French is Schmitt's "Monsieur Ibrahim et le fleurs du Coran". Does anybody have any information on its difficulty?
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6489 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 19 of 19
03 March 2012 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
I noticed it was quite German looking, Sunja ;) My father can read German, but I think he'd prefer a base language that he was more comfortable with, such as Swedish or English.

http://www.goodreads.com is usually a good place to check out books you are curious about (finding them can be tricky sometimes though, and it helps to search both the title and the author), Christine, but I couldn't find much information about difficulty for your book there. Someone really loved it though.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version