73 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 9 10 Next >>
Amoore
Denmark
Joined 5581 days ago

177 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: Danish*

Message 1 of 73
13 February 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Can someone recommended it, or is it a waste of time? :)

André Moore
1 person has voted this message useful

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5686 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 2 of 73
13 February 2009 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
I do it all the time, but I dont know if it works or not. I have never came across any studies or anything that says it helps.

Maestro
Groupie
Chile
Joined 5682 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 3 of 73
13 February 2009 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
I don't know either but it is great fo motivational purposes. During the few minutes it takes me to fall asleep while I lay in bed I'm listening to my target language, if I ever wake up in the middle of the night my L2 is there, the first thing I hear in the morning when I wake up is my target language. The next day I just want to get up and go to study.

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6908 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 4 of 73
14 February 2009 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
I like to think that it helps. Maybe your subconscious mind works on the language while you're sleeping, but I really don't know. I think your mind puts things together that you heard during the day, but I don't know if it takes anything in while you're sleeping. Falling asleep to the language might help though. I personally can't having the language going the entire night. I'll wake up soon after I fall asleep and turn it off because it starts to annoy me. I usually do fall asleep listening to an Arabic podcast though. I've heard that listing to the target language while you sleep might hurt since you'll start to associate it with sleeping. You might start feeling sleepy every time you hear the language. I don't know how much truth there is to that though. Does anyone feel like it helps?

Gummieshk
Triglot
Hong Kong
inkoasis.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5578 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 73
14 February 2009 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
hmmm... I've tried it with French, and it ended up giving me restless nights. I would
always wake up randomly in the middle of the night and hear French voices in my head,
and would get irritated and turn it off... I don't know if it works for others but
usually I find thinking/ talking to myself before sleep works. (it also works for
other subjects too. haha:P)

Yinon
Diglot
Israel
Joined 5664 days ago

24 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English, Modern Hebrew*
Studies: German

Message 6 of 73
14 February 2009 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
I actually did a little study on this. I tried listening to a Pimsleur lesson while
sleeping, or at least trying to. I couldn't fall asleep at all, but somehow I woke up
in bed the next morning. My MP3 player's batteries were dead, and I had black marks beneath the eyes. I wouldn't consider the experience as life-threatening, but neither beneficial. I suggest you do it, and see for yourself.

Hollow
Bilingual Triglot
United States
luelinks.netRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6350 days ago

179 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, SpanishB2
Studies: Korean

Message 7 of 73
14 February 2009 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
I'm saying this with no prfessional qualification or anything but:

Sleep is the time when your brain works on assimilating what's happened in the day. 'rest' as it were, a very active rest.

I'm not sure that interrupting your brain's important work to make it listen to some recording is the best idea in the world. It might help more to just, you know... get a full, pure night's sleep.

Having said this, I like listening to stuff right before sleeping, and right after I wake up.
2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6486 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 8 of 73
14 February 2009 at 6:45am | IP Logged