Diglot
China
Joined 6967 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Message 57 of 117
05 January 2007 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
Yes the idiom is the wrong way round on purpose. That's because we saw the content of Ardaschir's book before seeing the cover.
1 person has voted this message useful

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6931 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 58 of 117
05 January 2007 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Oh sorry delectric, I must have missed that.

I wish Ardaschir would return. I really liked reading his massive posts. I used to print them out and read them on the metro to work - such was their length.

Has anyone heard whether ot not he will be returning to the site?

Spasty
Groupie
United States
Joined 6655 days ago

92 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French

Message 59 of 117
05 February 2007 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
I hadn't really ever heard of him until this topic (I've never been too active here). I just read a couple of his posts, and I can't stop reading them!
Does anyone have a compilation that they could send me?

Will
United States
Joined 6724 days ago

165 posts - 165 votes 

Message 60 of 117
22 February 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
I decided to see if I could fulfill Spasty's above request by grouping Ardaschir's post together in a viewable offline index.

The main problem in doing so is the copyright notice at the bottom of each How-To-Learn-Any-Language.com web page:

Quote:
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.

Noting the copyright notice and knowing that it had to be respected, I decided to save the Ardaschir forum threads in the "Printable Version" format accessed from the "Printable Version" button.

What is seen is the same thing a person would see if they printed the forum threads themselves. Some of us do not have printers though.

Anyway here is the download link for any who care to take a look at it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/17756705/threads.zip

All of the accessible language related threads Ardaschir has participated in, up to this date, are included. Ardaschir also posted in threads having to do with the forum itself (such as forum structure, moderator type post, etc.) and these type threads were not included.

Also, links that go to other web sites do not work. The URL would need to be pasted into a browser window for the link to function. That is if the web page still exist. Also, links going to the main How-To-Learn-Any-language.com web site do not work.

Links going to other How-To-Learn-Any-language.com forum post should work. I may have overlooked some of the links though.

It was not my intention to violate anyone's copyright. Hopefully it will not be viewed as if I have done so.

2 persons have voted this message useful

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6827 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 61 of 117
22 February 2007 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Nephilim wrote:
Delectric,

I think you may have the idiom the wrong way around - unless that's what you intended. It should be:

"You can't judge a book by its cover".

best wishes
Nephilim

Vlad,

In English "news" takes a singular verb. 'Is there any news?'

:-)

Its posts like these that make me feel bad for native speakers when I try to "correct" their chinese.

Spasty
Groupie
United States
Joined 6655 days ago

92 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French

Message 62 of 117
22 February 2007 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Will wrote:
I decided to see if I could fulfill Spasty's above request by grouping Ardaschir's post together in a viewable offline index.

The main problem in doing so is the copyright notice at the bottom of each How-To-Learn-Any-Language.com web page:

Quote:
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.

Noting the copyright notice and knowing that it had to be respected, I decided to save the Ardaschir forum threads in the "Printable Version" format accessed from the "Printable Version" button.

What is seen is the same thing a person would see if they printed the forum threads themselves. Some of us do not have printers though.

Anyway here is the download link for any who care to take a look at it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/17756705/threads.zip

All of the accessible language related threads Ardaschir has participated in, up to this date, are included. Ardaschir also posted in threads having to do with the forum itself (such as forum structure, moderator type post, etc.) and these type threads were not included.

Also, links that go to other web sites do not work. The URL would need to be pasted into a browser window for the link to function. That is if the web page still exist. Also, links going to the main How-To-Learn-Any-language.com web site do not work.

Links going to other How-To-Learn-Any-language.com forum post should work. I may have overlooked some of the links though.

It was not my intention to violate anyone's copyright. Hopefully it will not be viewed as if I have done so.

Thanks! =D

gidler
Finland
Joined 6409 days ago

109 posts - 118 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Finnish*

Message 63 of 117
23 February 2007 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Will wrote:

Quote:

I don't think it is quite possible for a forum owner to claim ownership to the users' postings. Or if it is, that's just plain preposterous.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Will
United States
Joined 6724 days ago

165 posts - 165 votes 

Message 64 of 117
23 February 2007 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
For me it wasn't a question of ownership of post.

With just using my browser and a text replacement program, I could have made for Spasty a copy of Ardaschir's post that looked just like the forum web pages. Would have taken more considerable time to do but it would have been more enjoyable for Spasty to read than the black text on white background.

Rightfully, I chose the the printable view format.

I only posted about the copyright for Mr. Micheloud's sake. To let him know I was trying to help someone out while at the same time respecting his wishes.

Anyway it's done. Spasty has the compilation. Peace all.

Edited by Will on 23 February 2007 at 4:45am

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version