Tags: Accent | English
 Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5121 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 9 of 13
11 August 2010 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
I would suggest you use audiobooks recorded in British English as a role model, as the reader will always have a very standard and pleasing accent, and a single unabridged book last many hours so you have a lot to work with.
1 person has voted this message useful

BiaHuda
Triglot
Groupie
Vietnam
Joined 5151 days ago

97 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Vietnamese
Studies: Cantonese

Message 10 of 13
22 August 2010 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
David Attenborough has a very gơod accent. You should enjoy watching the BBC, Planet Earth Series with him as the narrator.

Polyglotted
Triglot
Joined 5017 days ago

35 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 11 of 13
25 August 2010 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
If you're watching the news, they have reporters from the part of the country in which the story being reported on occured, so therefore a plethora of accents. Personally, I'd go for a London accent, as it is the capital, to me anyway it sounds 'neutral', and probably the place you'd be most likely to go to :)

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5007 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 12 of 13
25 August 2010 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
If it helps Stephen Fry recorded the Harry Potter books - but did throw in a large number of 'character voices' ..... we have them all but I am sure you can get them 'used' on various sites.

mirab3lla
Triglot
United Kingdom
lang-8.com/220477Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5231 days ago

161 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Spanish, FrenchB1, Mandarin

Message 13 of 13
31 August 2010 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
One of my favourite British English documentaries is The Worst Jobs in History, mini series, two seasons of 6 or so episodes each.

And as "maydayayday" suggested the HP audiobooks, why don't you also try the HP movies?

If you are fond of history, and of Jane Austen's novels, you should also try the BBC series Pride and Prejudice, the ecranisation of the famous novel.

Hope that helped, Cheers!

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version