Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5565 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 1 of 9
14 April 2009 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Hello...

I've been trying to find parallel English-Romanian texts, but they don't seem to exist for English learners of Romanian. It occurred to me there must be plenty for Romanian learners of English since this is much more common. I've found this Romanian online bookstore and the section "English Readers"- but since I'm a total beginner and the site is in Romanian I can't tell if they are parallel texts or just books written in simple English. -Obviously if there's no Romanian translation they will be of no use to me.

So, I was wondering if any of you who can speak/read Romanian could have a quick look at this link (it's short list of English readers) and tell me if the descriptions say they are parallel or in English only. I would be eternally grateful!

http://www.librarie.net/cautare-carti-rezultate.php?pg=&t=&a u=&e=&co=ENGLISH%20READERS&oc=1

multumesc! (sorry can't figure out how to type the t-cedilla)

EDIT: changed the title of the thread as it could have misled people into thinking I needed a native speaker :-)

Edited by Dark_Sunshine on 15 April 2009 at 2:12am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 9
15 April 2009 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
The books were in English, though probably in 'simplified' English because most of the books were expressly meant for educational purposes. In some cases notes were mentioned, but I didn't see any indication that any of these books might be parallel bilingual editions. I think you have to make those yourself: find the same e-book in both languages and then use cut and paste in Word or something similar where you can make columns or two-column tables, - it takes a lot of time to do interlaced bilingual texts, but side-by-side versions can be made relatively quickly.    

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5565 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 

Message 3 of 9
15 April 2009 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Iversen- I think as you say, I will just have to buy some books in Romanian and obtain English translations for them (or rather the other way round as I don't know of a single Romanian book that has been translated into English). I spent a few hours trying to navigate that website last night, armed with only as much Romanian that can be learned from 2 lessons of TY Romanian (!) and a very poor quality English-Romanian dictionary. I managed to find some suitable books and order them but the site didn't invite me to enter any credit card details... I received an automatically generated confirmation e-mail but I haven't a clue how/when I'm actually supposed to pay for them!!

The whole experience made me appreciate how much French I know by comparison :-/

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 9
15 April 2009 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
If you actually get your books then you may have to transfer the money through a bak account. If British banks are like our banks then that's expensive, but at least here we have something called 'netbank' (the internet access to your bank accounts) where it is possible to make the transfer for free. An alternative is paypal or something like that, men I'm somewhat surprised that you didn't get information about how and where to pay. Or maybe you did, but it could be written in Romanian.

By the way, I have often made fun of the machine translations of Google and others, but in a case like this even a bad translation could give you an idea about the content of the Romanian homepage.

worldcitizen
Bilingual Heptaglot
Germany
squidoo.com/learn-Ro
Joined 5511 days ago

28 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: German*, Romanian*, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Arabic (classical), Hindi

Message 5 of 9
15 April 2009 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
@Dark_Sunshine

I often read bilingual children books when I start a new language. I think it's very helpful and mostly it's fun. Take a look at this UK-website and see if it's something for you:

http://www.childrens-books.uk.com/unitrader/shop/category/Du al-Language-Romanian-English/155

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5565 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 

Message 6 of 9
15 April 2009 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
@world citizen- thanks. I actually found the same books on librarie.net last night, so I've ordered one.

@Iversen- I can't make it out, but I think the details about paying/delivery must be 'hidden' in the confirmation e-mail they sent me. I remember the site saying something about it being 10 euros per 2kg to deliver outside of Romania, so I'm not sure whether that means they have to get back to me when they've calculated the correct price- so far the 'bill' only shows a charge of 8 lei for domestic delivery. I've copied the text of the automatic e-mail below:

Buna ziua

Acesta este un mesaj automat din site-ul www.librarie.net
prin care confirmam primirea comenzii de mai jos.
Pentru alte detalii referitoare la comenzi ne puteti contacta
la tel. 0351 420 105

[I removed a section here containing the details of my order, name and address]

TRANSPORT: Posta normala

Conditii de livrare si plata:

Produsele le veti primi prin posta normala, plata o veti face
ramburs, la oficiul postal la primirea cartilor.

POSTA ROMANA

Veti primi de la posta un aviz pe adresa pe care ati facut
comanda, in care sunteti invitati la posta pentru a ridica
pachetul. Se intampla insa uneori ca acest aviz sa nu fie
trimis si pachetul sa fie returnat vanzatorului. Deci, va
rugam ca in functie de experienta dobandita cu oficiul postal
local sa va deplasati dumneavoastra la posta chiar daca nu
va soseste avizul.
Deoarece ati comandat produse disponibile la cerere, perioada
aproximativa in care produsele vor ajunge este de 12 zile.
Veti primi de asemenea un mail in momentul in care coletul
va fi expediat.
In situatii exceptionale este posibil ca timpul de livrare
al comenzii sa fie ceva mai mare decat cel specificat
datorita riscului de aparitie a unor intarzieri.

IMPORTANT

In urma numeroaselor comenzi care au fost returnate si prin
urmare a costurilor suplimentare pe care vanzatorii le
suporta, clientii care nu ridica comenzile din orice motiv
nu vor mai putea comanda pe viitor.

RECLAMATII

Pentru reclamatii sau alte intrebari, va rugam sa ne contactati
la adresa: info@librarie.net

Va multumim si va invitam sa ne vizitati cat mai des!

Anticariat Online SRL
tel:0351-420105
email:office@librarie.net

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 9
16 April 2009 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
They suggest that you should pay the books at the post office when they are delivered there (which should happen within 12 days) - you will get notice at your private address. I have no idea whether this also function in the UK.

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5565 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 

Message 8 of 9
16 April 2009 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
Thanks so much for translating for me, I really appreciate it as I'm not good enough with technology to use one of those computer translations. I don't know how they'll work out which post office to deliver to though- the system is clearly not set up for international delivery, the form asked for a post office number but I just thought that was the Romanian equivalent of a post code so I just gave them that. I think I'll have to phone them and hope that somebody on the other end speaks English.
Thanks again for all your help.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version