United States
Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 49 of 68
01 September 2007 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
Luke what materials are you using for French?

My French adventure is here.
1 person has voted this message useful

annierooney
Groupie
United States
Joined 6461 days ago

48 posts - 48 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 50 of 68
02 September 2007 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Andy
[/QUOTE] I am now using this as a way of knowing when I'm "done" with a drill. If I find that I am starting to memorise the questions and answers in a particular order then I move on to the next drill. What do others who are doing FSI programs think?

Andy: I think you're absolutely right. I'm constantly going back to previous lessons because of one or two responses that don't come automatically and only half listen to the rest of the lesson. I often anticipate the answers to the upcoming questions without really "hearing" them. It's boring, and I may even be losing ground because I'm not aware of what I'm saying. I still haven't learned to use sound editors and don't think I want to spend the time anyway so I'm using Loquella just to concentrate on the pronunciation or sentence pattern I need to perfect.    

Mezzivi
Joined 6108 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 51 of 68
23 October 2007 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Will the Spanish programmatic course take me to at least basic fluency? I read in this thread somewhere that the course only has about 1300 words in it.

Thanks.

Edited by Mezzivi on 23 October 2007 at 7:19am

medchess
Diglot
United States
Joined 5947 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 52 of 68
28 December 2007 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
After reading this entire thread, I am still confused as to the content of the various Spanish programs.

I was studying Spanish in a Central American country last month, covered most of the basic grammar (I studied Spanish in high school as well) and was studying the subjunctive when I left. My comprehension of slow lectures was probably 90%, my comprehension of natives speaking rapidly to each other on the street was maybe 10%. I still need to practice constructing sentences and thoughts in Spanish, review the grammar, as well as thinking in Spanish, and reading articles in Spanish.

From what I understand, there is a Barron's Basic Course and an FSI Programmatic Course (which is selling on amazon.com). There are 4 parts of the Barron's Basic Course, as well as 4 parts of the FSI Programmatic Course (it states on the amazon.com page that you get levels 3 and 4 online with the purchase of part 1, so I am assuming there are 4 parts, although only 1 and 2 are sold on amazon).

On the Audioforum website, is the FSI Programmatic Course parts 1 and 2 that sell for $225 the same as the ones that are selling on amazon.com for only $68 and includes parts 3 and 4?

Next, what are the Platiquemos FSI Spanish courses?
If this is the same as the ones at Audioforum and Amazon.com, why are there 8 parts advertised for the Platiquemos one instead of 4?

Thank you very much for any help, hopefully this will resolve the questions of others as well.

Dandy
Joined 6302 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes

Message 53 of 68
29 December 2007 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
The original FSI programmatic Spanish course only consists of two levels. Some retailers package it with levels 3 & 4 from the FSI Basic course. The two were not supposed to go together. The original FSI Basic Spanish program came with 4 levels. Platiquemos is an updated and revised program of the original FSI Basic. The retailer has added extra material and made the program so it can be used with out necessarily having the text for review. He has reformated it to eight levels instead of the original 4. The 2 levels of FSI Programmatic Spanish can be downloaded for free with the manuals in pdf format from. http://fsi-language-courses.net/. I hope this answers your questions.

Edited by Dandy on 29 December 2007 at 8:10am

3 persons have voted this message useful

medchess
Diglot
United States
Joined 5947 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 54 of 68
29 December 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Excellent discussion and link, thank you very much.

Is the FSI Basic course the same as the Barron's Basic course (which is sold on Amazon)?

Dandy
Joined 6302 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes

Message 55 of 68
30 December 2007 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
Barron's only offers levels 1 & 2 for sale now. I had looked at a copy of Barrons's level 1 from my local library. It looked pretty much the same as the pdf's of the original FSI. I believe Barron's had to either add or change enough of the original material to allow themselves to copyright thier material. There is also a site at Loquella.com that offers the full FSI course in an online format for free. http://fsi-language-courses.net has the text for the first 2 levels of the FSI basic course and audio for the first 9 units. I believe the original consisted of 55 units.
Good luck!

StrikerCW
United States
Joined 5946 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes

Message 56 of 68
04 January 2008 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Can I assume that the levels 3 and 4 for Basic are not available for free on the web (from fsi-course or loquella). It seems both of those only go to unit 45 (50 with no audio) can someone clarify this, as it seems to be nowhere in this thread completely clearly.

Thanks

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version