Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Which FSI courses are good and which not?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
atropos
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5553 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 13
19 April 2009 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
What I read so far, are FSI French and FSI Spanish good courses. What about the rest?
1 person has voted this message useful

dmg
Diglot
Canada
dgryski.blogspot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6813 days ago

555 posts - 605 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto

Message 2 of 13
20 April 2009 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
I've heard that the Standard Chinese (Mandarin) course _would_ be fantastic if it used hanzi, but instead it only has Pinyin. Thus, that course cannot be used on its own as can some of the other FSI courses. You'd need to find another method of acquiring the written language. That means there will likely be a more obvious disconnect between what you can talk about (the contents of the FSI course) and what you can read/write (the contents of whatever writing course you end up choosing).

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5953 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 3 of 13
20 April 2009 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
FSI Hungarian is fantastic. I'd regard it as one of the best Hungarian courses I've ever used. FSI Spanish is a good course, but I didn't like FSI French due to the audio quality. I wish they'd a Russian course with the same amount of audio as the others.

Tabula Rasa
United States
Joined 5522 days ago

7 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Greek

Message 4 of 13
20 April 2009 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
I'm trying the Turkish that is available in the public domain, but the audio is too fuzzy to really be useful for
anything other than getting a general idea about how a sentence may sound. The written guide makes quite a nice
textbook, however.

My friends who have gone through full-time, real-life FSI courses end up somewhere between proficient and
relatively fluent in 6-10 months, so I'm thinking FSI language learning in general must be pretty darn good.    

AlexL
Diglot
United States
Joined 6886 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 5 of 13
22 April 2009 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Standard Chinese (Mandarin) is excellent.

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5942 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 6 of 13
22 April 2009 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
They're generally excellent but, IIRC, the Thai, Lao and Khmer courses don't introduce
the script during the basic course - separate script courses are available though.
(Korean and Hebrew courses do use script, not sure about Hindi)

sprachefin
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5548 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 7 of 13
23 April 2009 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Tabula Rasa wrote:
I'm trying the Turkish that is available in the public domain, but the audio is too fuzzy to
really be useful for
anything other than getting a general idea about how a sentence may sound. The written guide makes quite a
nice
textbook, however.

My friends who have gone through full-time, real-life FSI courses end up somewhere between proficient and
relatively fluent in 6-10 months, so I'm thinking FSI language learning in general must be pretty darn good.    

I tried FSI Turkish with a website that provides live audio streaming and a PDF of the textbook. It was indeed
very fuzzy, and you had to listen hard to understand the different consonants. I also found it was a bit vague,
and that you might need a native speaker to help you out. I would prefer something more explanatory, and a
little more informational.

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6623 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 8 of 13
23 April 2009 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
I have always heard that people make great results with FSI but I have never found an understandable description of how the course is really supposed to be used (a step by step, idiot proof guide).

Regards,
Ilhan

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version