Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Which FSI courses are good and which not?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
arbigelow
Tetraglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5694 days ago

89 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1, German, Spanish

Message 9 of 13
23 April 2009 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
What does everyone think of the FSI German course? What kind of level could one expect after both parts 1 and 2 (24 units)?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5823 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 13
23 April 2009 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Tabula Rasa wrote:
My friends who have gone through full-time, real-life FSI courses end up somewhere between proficient and
relatively fluent in 6-10 months, so I'm thinking FSI language learning in general must be pretty darn good.    

Unfortunately the on-line versions don't come with the innumerable hours in a classroom with the exceptionally skilled and well-qualified native-speaking teacher that your friends will have had....

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5623 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 11 of 13
30 April 2009 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
!LH@N wrote:
I have always heard that people make great results with FSI but I have never found an understandable description of how the course is really supposed to be used (a step by step, idiot proof guide).

Regards,
Ilhan

Check out the first couple pages of the Hungarian course. It does a pretty good job explaining how to use any Basic course, even though I have no interest at all in Hungarian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6633 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 12 of 13
30 April 2009 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
Yes, I was pointed to that too, and it does have very good instructions.
My problem with FSI was always that I was going through the tapes and reading along what to do in the book, but it never seemed to me as if I was doing any progress.
I think I have to stick a little more to it

Regards,
Ilhan

AlexL
Diglot
United States
Joined 6896 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 13 of 13
30 April 2009 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
!LH@N wrote:
I have always heard that people make great results with FSI but I have never found an
understandable description of how the course is really supposed to be used (a step by step, idiot proof guide).

Regards,
Ilhan

I think the courses are all to be used a bit differently. In the Mandarin course, the introduction explains exactly in
what order to work through the tapes and books. Someone posted on the fsi-language-courses forum, as well, an
explanation of how to best use Mandarin for self-study. But I think it is probably different from course to course...

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version