Pentaglot
Belarus
Joined 5703 days ago

14 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English, Belarusian, Russian*, Polish, Spanish
Studies: French, German

Message 57 of 73
16 September 2008 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
It's an excellent book, but of course, not the only good about polyglottery published in Russian (the works by Kato Lomb where published as well in the middle of 70th).
The only specification is that it was published in 1989 and now the looking for reading material becomes very easy - just go to Internet and download some articles. And the forums provide you as much informal speech as you want.

And of course no one book about polyglottery can replace your guide-books and dictionaries.
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6062 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 58 of 73
05 October 2008 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Just bumping this up because it is so good :)

Makrasiroutioun
Quadrilingual Heptaglot
Canada
infowars.com
Joined 5896 days ago

210 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Armenian*, Romanian*, Latin, German, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 59 of 73
10 October 2008 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
William Camden, thanks for bumping this thread. I read the whole thing and I feel very much rewarded because of it!

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5689 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 60 of 73
10 October 2008 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Anyone know where one could get a copy of this book? Yes, I know it's available online. For extensive reading though--say, more than a page or two--I need a book in my hands.

Makrasiroutioun
Quadrilingual Heptaglot
Canada
infowars.com
Joined 5896 days ago

210 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Armenian*, Romanian*, Latin, German, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 61 of 73
10 October 2008 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
It's the second blog post on this site: http://sadykov.org/library/#p14347-7

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5824 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 62 of 73
11 October 2008 at 5:40am | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
Just bumping this up because it is so good :)

Thanks a lot, the book is really interesting. (Shouldn't this kind of thing be pinned to stay always on top??)

[edit]
He seems to simplify certain things a bit too much in parts of his book. In "Chapter 2 - How to choose a language", pg 22 for example:

The first language family is that of the Indo-European languages, whose name comes from the fact that languages of this group spread over the whole territory of India and Europe. Russian is part of this language family, giving a key to all Slavic languages, and also closely related to other similar languages - German, English, but also French, Spanish and Portuguese. We put English in the middle because it is related to German, however, because of historical reasons up to 45% of the vocabulary in common English texts comes from French words. As for the mutual intelligibility between the Spanish and Portuguese people, it is neither less nor more than that between Russians and Bulgarians, if each person is using his own language.

I think the sentences in bold are overly optimistic ;p. I've seen Spanish and Portuguese people communicate and they really manage to understand each other, maybe just a bit slowly (whereas Bulgarian-Russian involves a lot of gesturing....)

Edited by Sennin on 11 October 2008 at 6:58am

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5689 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 63 of 73
11 October 2008 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
Makrasiroutioun wrote:
It's the second blog post on this site: http://sadykov.org/library/#p14347-7

I meant a physical copy of the book.

kealist
United States
kealist.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6026 days ago

111 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Uyghur, Mandarin, Shanghainese

Message 64 of 73
18 October 2008 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
[continuation - 6 of 8]
                over
                   |
before <-- in --> behind
                   |
               under

I guarantee that this cross-diagram will forever etch itself in your memory.

And so you've filled out the first fold-out of the notebook. If you haven't worked through the whole text in 40 minutes, do not rush it, you will have enough time for it the next time you stop by the library, in 1 or 2 days. Each lesson is structured the same way as before. Its first quarter you devote to the grammar portion of the notebook, then move your eyes up the page and work on the text. The third part is devoted to the right-hand page - the list of words and expression, and the last one - to a free-style reading of the text with an accompanying review of pronunciation. Having mastered the given portion, or continue with the text, or move on to the next one. [I am at a loss as to the meaning of the preceeding sentence within the context of this paragraph in either Russian or English.]

[to be continued]

Not that it's super important, but not looking at the Russian, I would assume he means something to the effect of "Having mastered the given portion, continue with the next portion of the current text (the next 3-4 sentences) or move on to the next text."

Thank you for the translation of this, BTW.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version