Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5939 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 33
06 May 2009 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
I've searched the forum to no avail, but came across a thread that said these courses have been discussed. Has anyone used these courses, and what are their thoughts ? I've recently ordered Modern Russian 1 with audio, but can't find a CD version of the audio for Modern Russian 2. Is there audio in CD format available for this second course ?

[EDIT - http://multilingualbooks.com/ seem to carry the second level, but they're the only ones. I'm surprised it's not on Amazon or any of the other large distributors which have Modern Russian 1]

Edited by DaraghM on 06 May 2009 at 3:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

evandempsey
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5472 days ago

27 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Italian, Russian

Message 2 of 33
06 May 2009 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
I would also be very interested in hearing anybody's thoughts about this course. I
have seen the course referred to in other threads, but never discussed in depth.

RedKing'sDream
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5587 days ago

53 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 3 of 33
06 May 2009 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
I think it's an excellent course--if you like an FSI sort of format.

If does an excellent job of making the most common and morphological patterns automatic. The only downside is that you absolutely must combine it with something that is more vocabulary intensive.

Volume 2 with the audio is still available at audioforum.com

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6021 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 33
07 May 2009 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Audioforum is producing cds for both volumes. I like the drills. (The political language has changes in Russia, but knowing the older words can be helpful.)The two volumes give around 50 hours of spoken Russian audio. The total vocabulary is about 2700 words.

By the way, I have first printings of the books. The title was Modern Russian I (II): A Project of Syracuse University under contract with the United States Office of Education. It was published by Harcourt, Bruce and World, Inc. The content is the same, minus the photographs and maps.

At that time, under contract SU was training goverment workers and military in Russian. The series was used by them for training. It was also designed for general Univeristy education. It method is that developed during World War Two in Spoken Language series. The difference is more drills, more audio, and Russian only audio.

I do not know when Georgetown University became publisher. I assume at that point the
subtitle was removed, and also the photographs and maps of CCCP and MOCKBA.

The authors were visiting the Soviet Union after publishing the book. At Moscow State University, a few of the language professors refused to have a photograph made with them. The book's conversations were a problem. The University students made comments cnegative about the food served students. There was also an issue about music.

evandempsey
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5472 days ago

27 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Italian, Russian

Message 5 of 33
07 May 2009 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
A question for the people who have the course:

Is the course format obviously that of a book intended for use in conjunction with an
instructor, like an FSI course, or is it geared more towards independent use, like
Platiquemos?

RedKing'sDream
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5587 days ago

53 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 6 of 33
07 May 2009 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
I've only glanced at Platiquemos, so I'd say it's closer to an FSI course, but I don't see why that means you need an instructor to use it successfully.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6021 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 33
07 May 2009 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
The course is designed for a teacher. However, it can be used without a teacher.

I purchased the book with cds package. Audioforum's package has the Instuctor's Manual. The design of the course is the last five minutes devoted to questions of general concern. The class time is not spent talking about the lanuage rather devoted to practicing the language. The teacher models the language learned from the audio and book. Self study use will miss out on practicing with others.

If you did the course with a teacher, you do the lesson and audio drills before the class session. So the book needs to present everything needed to understand and learn each lesson. This makes the books and audio very useful for self study.   

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5939 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 8 of 33
08 May 2009 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
It seems that audioforum is the official distributor of their material based on the following mail I received. I managed to order the first volume through a local bookseller in Dublin.

-----Original Message-----
From: Georgetown University Press [mailto:gupress@georgetown.edu]
Sent: 07 May 2009 14:13
To: M. Daragh
Subject: Re: Quick question about Modern Russian 2 by Clayton Dawson

Dear Daragh,

Thank you for your interest in the publications of Georgetown University
Press.

We no longer sell Modern Russian 2; however, you should be able to find
it at http://www.audioforum.com/, under the Russian language,
self-instructional courses. You may also be able to find a copy of it on
a used books website like www.abebooks.com.

All the best,
Julie Finnegan Stoner
Publishing Assistant

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version