mike789
United States
Joined 6132 days ago

39 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 19
24 May 2009 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I really want to make this work!

After lesson 15 in my book (Italian) it says
Quote:
remember, is is essential to follow the "rules of the game". Always read the Italian sentences with their translation and notes first. Once you are certain of the meaning, re-read every sentence aloud and then immediately try to repeat it again. (emphasis mine)

Is the idea that you've just read it in Italian and understand it in that language, now you try to act as if you're saying it on your own?   I've started trying it after coming to that part in the book, and for me at least it is hard; definitely not "without toil". From what people have posted, it doesn't sound like they're doing this part. So what do you think? Good idea, or just concentrate on understanding what I hear and read?
1 person has voted this message useful

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5714 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 19
24 May 2009 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Definitely read each lesson out loud trying to imitate how Italian is spoken as best as you can. If you don't do this you'll only learn grammar and reading but will never speak it. Give it your best shot, try to correct pronunciation where you're able, and gradually it will improve.

I don't repeat it myself, I'm not sure that's necessary, but if you want to try that then by all means go ahead.

I know Assimil's "trust us" teaching style can make you feel like you're on unstable ground sometimes, so I'm glad this isn't my first Assimil course, I can know that what they're doing is actually effective.

Pronunciation can be hard at first, which is why it's so important that you read the lessons aloud, just do your best, you don't need to be perfect.

staf250
Pentaglot
Belgium
emmerick.be
Joined 5502 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 11 of 19
24 May 2009 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
When I'm not able to repeat the whole sentence, I'll do it in two times.

Kegel
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6244 days ago

67 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 12 of 19
24 May 2009 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
mike789 wrote:
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I really want to make this work!

After lesson 15 in my book (Italian) it says
Quote:
remember, is is essential to follow the "rules of the game". Always read the Italian sentences with their translation and notes first. Once you are certain of the meaning, re-read every sentence aloud and then immediately try to repeat it again. (emphasis mine)

Is the idea that you've just read it in Italian and understand it in that language, now you try to act as if you're saying it on your own?   I've started trying it after coming to that part in the book, and for me at least it is hard; definitely not "without toil". From what people have posted, it doesn't sound like they're doing this part. So what do you think? Good idea, or just concentrate on understanding what I hear and read?

I try to repeat every sentence (or every group of sentences), but it tends to have something of learning the sentence by heart, which is actually the main reason why I'm currently not very motivated to do my next Assimil lesson.

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5714 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 

Message 13 of 19
24 May 2009 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Kegel wrote:
but it tends to have something of learning the sentence by heart, which is actually the main reason why I'm currently not very motivated to do my next Assimil lesson.

I don't think they mean for you to do that. Assimil is not a phrasebook or a memorisation tool. I think they just ask you to do that to see if you can string together the same meaning in Italian right after without looking, but I would save this for the second wave myself.

It should be fun, mate! So if it's not, then stop doing it that way ;-)

coyote
Diglot
United States
Joined 6047 days ago

32 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 14 of 19
28 May 2009 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
I follow this procedure with Assimil:
1- Listen to the audio a couple of times to get the rhythm in my head.
2- Listen to the audio and read target language text, silently.
3- Listen to the audio and read target language text, aloud.
4- Translate text.
5- Study notes.
6- Listen to audio, without reading, for comprehension.
7- Listen to audio, without reading, and repeat text aloud.
8- Do exercises.

Steps 1-3 and 6-7 are repeated as many times as necessary for results.
I can usually finish a lesson in around 30 minutes.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kegel
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6244 days ago

67 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 15 of 19
01 June 2009 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
Kegel wrote:
but it tends to have something of learning the sentence by heart, which is actually the main reason why I'm currently not very motivated to do my next Assimil lesson.

I don't think they mean for you to do that. Assimil is not a phrasebook or a memorisation tool. I think they just ask you to do that to see if you can string together the same meaning in Italian right after without looking, but I would save this for the second wave myself.

It should be fun, mate! So if it's not, then stop doing it that way ;-)

I guess you are right. I've already stopped wanting to repeat a group of sentences (all that are collected under one number) by heart because it really became too tedious.

There's a bit of a contradiction in the instructions in my opinion. On the one hand you're supposed to 'assimilate' it, do it "with ease", on the other hand they tell you not to go on to the next unit before you have completely "mastered" a unit.

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5714 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 

Message 16 of 19
01 June 2009 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
I know, they do contradict themselves. They said something in one of the latter lessons of Italian With Ease about 'adapting' sentences 'to your language', which is a load of tosh, cause you don't start bringing in L1 in lesson 70, it should be left behind as much as possible by then. Oh well. It's possible that not all the writers drank the kool-aid, so there are remnants of weirdness in there every once in a while. I just ignore them.

From what I've seen it's fine to skip ahead, then review every once in a while, rather than getting stuck on one lesson cause you don't want to move on until you're 'done' with it.

It's not a perfect course, but it's a very good one, if we use it the way we want, so as long as you figure out what makes it fun and educational for you then you'll get as much out of it as you can - which is a lot! :-)

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version