Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6882 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 17 of 19
02 June 2009 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
I pretty much follow the Assimil guidelines with maybe a small tweak here and there.

Before listening to anything I edit the audio so it's tighter and is just dialogue only, i.e., no practice or lesson title. This way I can listen to the dialogue on repeat with no interruptions per se.

Passive Wave
I listen to the dialogue and read the target language, focusing on the intonation and rhythm. I try to figure out the meaning without using the translation side and when I think I've got all I can, I read the translation and notes, comparing with the target language.

Next, I read along with the audio until I think I have everything absorbed. Then I'm set to shadow without the text.

To get to the blind shadow stage take typically between 10 and 15 minutes.

I'm not too concerned with 100% retention immediately and I review previous lessons all the time. Always audio only unless I feel I've missed something, then I consult the text for clarification. To coincide with reviewing, I also do a scriptorium session for lessons I first encounter about 3 weeks previously and quite often dictation of something even older. Retention takes care of itself this way.

Active Wave
Almost as it's set out in the book; translate to target language, do exercises, etc. I do written translation and scriptorium as well. Constant review of audio whenever I feel the need.
1 person has voted this message useful

matumic
Groupie
United States
Joined 6038 days ago

60 posts - 60 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 19
19 June 2009 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
These probably sound like stupid questions, but ohh well......

How do you know when you've completed a lesson and are ready to move onto the next?

And so when starting the 2nd wave, are you supposed to be doing 2 lessons a day? So for each new lesson you start in the second wave, you go back to a corresponding first wave lesson in that same day, right? For example, lesson 50 and then reviewing lesson 1, next day- lesson 51 and reviewing lesson 2, etc... Does that sound correct?

Please help......

Edited by matumic on 19 June 2009 at 11:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6951 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 19 of 19
19 June 2009 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Yes, once you begin the 2nd or active wave you complete a new lesson for the first wave and go back and complete the 2nd wave lesson some six or seven weeks previous.

How do I know I have completed a lesson and am ready for the next? As soon as I can understand the new lesson, that is, I can read it and understand what I read and listen to it and understand what I hear, I have completed the lesson and am ready to move on to the next. I don't concern myself with memorising new words or points of grammar. I only have to recognise them at this stage. I will be reviewing the lesson for the next two weeks and the vocabulary and grammar will be repeated in the following lessons anyway.

I always begin a new lesson by reviewing some old lessons first. The lessons only take a minute or two to play so it is no big deal to review the lessons. I also review the lessons when I am driving by listening to the audio up to my current lesson.

The new vocabulary and grammar will soon burn itself into your brain. Then, by the time of the 2nd wave you have already learnt the material. The second wave consolidates what you have learnt.

The second wave is also an ideal opportunity to write out the text of the lesson to help your spelling and to practise your writing skills. It also helps the learning process.

Edited by fanatic on 19 June 2009 at 12:15pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version