1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 41 of 149
22 August 2009 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
JW wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
Hi audience, my third You Tube video is online!!! Languages spoken: French, Italian, Spanish and English.

Nice work. I noticed a few things. First, you responded to a question in Italian, initially in Italian but then you switched to French in midstream. Was that unconscious or did you do it purposely? Second I noticed that when you were speaking Spanish, you mixed in some Italian, sometimes you caught it and sometimes you didn’t (ascoltare instead of escuchar). Do you find it difficult to avoid interference with these two languages?

By the way I think your pronunciation in all languages is very clear. You have a very concise delivery. Kudos.

I see, that you listened to my video very carefully. The first thing was a trick, because I had prepared both question and answer in French, but my interviewer asked me in Italian, so I didn't want to irritate myself.

Yes, there are some clear Italian interferences in my Spanish, there is more than one example for it. The last time that I spoke Spanish was in 2003!!! After that I had no practice in this language. I do speak Italian regularly with a German friend. So my weakness of Spanish is due to lack of speaking practice.

What does "kudos" mean? I don't know this word.

When will we get the chance to listen to your first You Tube video?

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5915 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 42 of 149
22 August 2009 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
I see, that you listened to my video very carefully. The first thing was a trick, because I had prepared both question and answer in French, but my interviewer asked me in Italian, so I didn't want to irritate myself.

Yes, there are some clear Italian interferences in my Spanish, there is more than one example for it. The last time that I spoke Spanish was in 2003!!! After that I had no practice in this language. I do speak Italian regularly with a German friend. So my weakness of Spanish is due to lack of speaking practice.

What does "kudos" mean? I don't know this word.

When will we get the chance to listen to your first You Tube video?

Fasulye

That is funny that your interviewer threw you a curve ball with the French/Italian question!

I have the same problem with Spanish/Italian so I was actually listening very closely to see if you would mix them. I decided to put my Italian on hold until I could improve my Spanish to a more advanced level. I have a hard time keeping those two separate in my brain.

Kudos is a very interesting word meaning praise, glory, honor, acclaim. It is used as a compliment for a performance well done. Here is a fuller etymology:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kudos

Regarding my video, I got a little busy with work and also I got the opportunity to further my Ancient Greek via studying in a small group so that has also taken some time away. Every time I see your videos I get motivated. I have done some work on it so hopefully soon…

2 persons have voted this message useful

hanni
aka cordelia0507
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5397 days ago

69 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*

Message 43 of 149
23 August 2009 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
"What does "kudos" mean? I don't know this word."
It means "respect for your efforts" or something like that.
Great video!

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5640 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 149
23 August 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the "kudos", people! This gives us a lot of inspiration. I have already an idea for the future: Producing a whole video spoken in Esperanto because there are enough questions about this language.

But give me some time....

Fasulye

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5697 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 46 of 149
23 August 2009 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Hi, have you considered adding subtitles to your vids? these days that's quite easy on
youtube, and it would make it so much more accessible to people who don't speak those
languages...

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5915 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 47 of 149
24 August 2009 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
ennime wrote:
Hi, have you considered adding subtitles to your vids? these days that's quite easy on
youtube, and it would make it so much more accessible to people who don't speak those
languages...

That is an outstanding idea.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5640 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 48 of 149
24 August 2009 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
ennime wrote:
languages...

No, it find it too complicated and too much work. After every three words you have to stop the video again and again to fill in a translation, I don't like doing such work.So there won't come any subtitles.

I'm considering to make monolingual videos, the next one in Esperanto. Some of my You Tube friends are very freaky with German, so I'm considering this language as well. Another option for the future might be to make a whole video in Italian or French.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 24 August 2009 at 7:10am

This discussion contains 149 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version