pakiboy
United States
Joined 5465 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 20
01 June 2009 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
Hey guys.. I am new to this forum.

I am currently learning 2 languages and plan to learn a total of 8 more over the next 4 years. I am fluent in Urdu, English and Hindi.

Currently I am learning French and Mandarin Chinese.
However, I am concerned whether my self-study method is comprised of material "too much to consume within the given time period?"

I am learning English and Mandarin Chinese concurrently. Here is the schedule:
French - June 2009 to January 2010 : 8 months (to DALF C2 level and including Business French.)
Chinese Mandarin - June 2009 to August 2010 : 15 months [HSK Level 3 (Proficiency)]

And here is my Self-study method: (The no. of pages are "per day"]
======================================================

>>>FRENCH - Jun 09 to Jan 10<<<

ACADEMIC:
    Elementary I:
     Vis-à-vis – Beginning French I *8 chapters     1 unit per day     30 days – June
    Elementary II:
        Vis-à-vis – Beginning French II *8 chapters     1 unit per day      30 days – July
    Intermediate I:
     L’Etranger by Albert Camus     5 pages     30 days – August
     L’Exercisier *Chapters 1 – 15     4 pages     45 days – 8/1 to 9/15
     Supplements reading     -   &nbs p; 30 days – August
    Intermediate II:
     L’Exercisier *Chapters 16-24     4 pages     45 days – 9/16 to 10/30
     A vous d’écrire: Atelier de français *115 pages     3 pages     30 days – 9/16 to 10/15
     Supplement reading     -   &nbs p; 30 days – 9/16 to 10/15
    Advanced I & II:
     Poèmes, Pièces,   Prose      ;-       30 days – 10/16 to 11/15
     Réussir le Dalf : Niveaux C1 et C2     5 pages     45 days – 11/16 to 12/31
     Le Résumé, le compte rendu, la synthèse     5 pages     30 days – 11/16 to 12/15
    Business French:
     Affaires.com (Cengage) / French for Business - 45 days – 12/16 to 01/31
     Parlons affaires!      5 pages     45 days – 12/16 to 01/31

FSI
     Units *966 pages     5 pages     195 days

ASSIMIL
     French with Ease I *113 lessons     5 pages     113 days – 06/01 to 09/23
     Using French *70 lessons     5 pages     70 days

ROSETTA STONE
     Level I *92 units     1 unit per day     92 days
     Level II *118 units     ½ unit per day     236 days

----------------SUPPLEMENT MATERIAL-------------------
VOCABULARY     
        Mastering French Vocabulary     2 pages per day    240 days

GRAMMAR
        Barron's 501 Verbs      15 verbs per day 240 days
------------------------------------------------------------ --

>>>Mandarin Chinese - Jun 09 to Aug 10<<<

ACADEMIC:
    Elementary IA:
        Integrated Chinese Level I – Part I     5 pages     56 days
    Elementary IB:
        Integrated Chinese Level I – Part II      5 pages      63 days
    Elementary 2A:
        Integrated Chinese Level II – Part I      5 pages     65 days
    Elementary 2B:
        Integrated Chinese Level II – Part II     5 pages     65 days
    Intermediate I:
        Communicating in Chinese: R & W     5 pages     50 days
    Intermediate II:
        Beyond Basics     5 pages     55 days
    Adcanced I & II:
        Chinese Scene     5 pages     55 days
    Business Chinese:
        Open for Business I & II     5 pages     41 days

FSI
       Units *313 tapes – 1878 pages     4 pages     420 days

ASSIMIL
       Chinese with Ease I *49 lessons     4 pages     98 days
       Chinese with Ease II*56 lessons     4 pages     112 days

ROSETTA STONE
       Level I *92 units     1 unit per day     92 days
       Level II *118 units     ½ unit per day     236 days

--------------SUPPLEMENTARY WRITING RESOURCE----------
Tuttle *3000 characters     8 characters per day     375 days
------------------------------------------------------------ --

So guys please tell me if you think WHETHER I NEED TO CUT BACK ON SOME STUFF?

Edited by pakiboy on 01 June 2009 at 8:34am

1 person has voted this message useful

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5487 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 2 of 20
01 June 2009 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

I would consider dropping the Rosetta Stone part of your study unless you feel that it is actually helpful. While everyone is different, it is my understanding that most people find it to be a very inefficient system.

Also, I don't mean to discourage you but learning languages takes a bit of time. By that I mean that is unlikely that you will be able to reach a C2 level of French by January (unless of course you are already fairly advanced. Likewise, learning 10 languages over the next four years is somewhat unlikely.

Aside from that I think you've selected good resources. If you feel like adding an audio component you can consider Pimsleur or Michel Thomas.

Edited by Paskwc on 01 June 2009 at 9:45am

pakiboy
United States
Joined 5465 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes

Message 3 of 20
01 June 2009 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Paskwc wrote:
I mean that is unlikely that you will be able to reach a C2 level of French by January (unless of course you are already fairly advanced.

Hmmm... interesting. But i will disagree. If 1 level of language is taught over a summer semester (2 months long) at any given university ... then how is it not possible to reach advanced level by 6 months...(I actually extended it to 7 to allow for any disruptions).? Also provided that I will be spending 2 hours per day on both languages during weekdays and 3 hours per day per both language on weekends.

Moreover, with a comprehensive self study method... I don't get how? So please tell me.

Also ... I have natural pronunciation skills and can pretty much imitate accents of languages that I don't even know yet. (I can almost perfectly read French) Since Urdu has all the sounds, consonants and vowels of any language in the world, it has given me an extra edge in making sounds that most non-Urdu speakers might find difficult to make.

Also...yes I was dubious about Rosetta stone.. they indeed have stupid phrases... so yeah I might replace it with Pimsleur. Thanks a lot for ur comment!

Edited by pakiboy on 01 June 2009 at 10:41am

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6713 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 4 of 20
01 June 2009 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
pakiboy wrote:
If 1 level of language is taught over a summer semester (2 months long) at any given university ... then how is it not possible to reach advanced level by 6 months...(I actually extended it to 7 to allow for any disruptions).? Also provided that I will be spending 2 hours per day on both languages during weekdays and 3 hours per day per both language on weekends.

I don't know about the US but at the European universities I know one level definitely takes more than 2 months.

Well, in my opinion 7 months to reach C2 level in French and learn business language too (learning another language in the same time) - may just not be enough. I'm also not sure if you'll be able to reach C2 level with the sources you're going to use (it seems to me that there isn't enough original texts there, and definitely audio component is not big enough - which is listening comprehension is not that important to you). If you're not going to actually pass the DELF exam, you may consider leaving out the preparation book.

pakiboy
United States
Joined 5465 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes

Message 5 of 20
01 June 2009 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
Hey Julie... thanks for ur response.

Normally, in US to pass a level for instance both Elementary 1 and Elementary 2... it takes 8 months which is equivalent to two big semesters (Fall and Spring). However, as we all know... these r just money making techniques used by the universities...

Ironically, US universities offer the same entire 1 level (Elementary, Intermediate or Advanced) in the 2 month long summer semester. I passed the entire elementary level of Spanish during the 2 month long semester back in 2007. The same is true for any level.

As far as the resources, I am so surprised to know that u think they are insufficient? I thought they were way too much. Academic book + FSI + ASSIMIL + Rosetta Stone/Pimsleur + Grammar + Vocabulary + Literaty Texts. They are insufficient?

Also you said that listening component is missing? Have u tried FSI, Assimil? or the Academic books... All of them have listening components... and the preparatory books for DALF C1 & DALF C2 have gigantic amount of listening and oral components.

For literary, those "Supplemental Readings" are actually literary texts. Also, the two books Poem, Prose, Piece (600 pages) and french novels like L'Etranger are good literary texts. But i will try to read as much native text as possible...

However, I would agree with learning both languages concurrently might be difficult as I am already attending full time college. Thats why I thought that this was too much of study. I will most probably drop Chinese for now... and concentrate on French...
Guys please provide more feedback! My schedule is starting from tomorrow!

Edited by pakiboy on 01 June 2009 at 11:19am

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6713 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 6 of 20
01 June 2009 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
I have tried Assmil (I haven't tried FSI and I don't know what the Academic books are, though). I didn't know that the book "Poem, Prose, Piece" has so many pages :).

What I meaned by audio component were original recordings. In my opinion it's quite difficult to reach the C2 level without listening to, for instance, audiobooks, podcasts, radio.

There's a huge gap between C1 and C2 level (actually, the differences between levels are getting bigger as you're progressing), and here the language exposure is usually deciding.

Moreover I don't think that literary texts are enough. I would definitely read e.g. some magazines and popular science texts.

pakiboy
United States
Joined 5465 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes

Message 7 of 20
01 June 2009 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the response... As far as the radio, tv, magazines and newspaper are concerned... I forgot to write these in my method above. Of course, to be proficient you have to go through all these modes...

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5575 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 8 of 20
01 June 2009 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
hi there pakiboy... I feel I should put that in inverted commas! What's with the username?

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version