United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5886 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Hindi, English*, German, French
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 17 of 20
03 June 2009 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
Hey,

I think you've got your work cut out for you and some strong ambitions! I do think it is a possible thing to achieve ~8 languages to some sort of conversational level within 4 years.

However, it would be extremely difficult in my opinion unless you were extremely talented. Also, a person who has never really learnt a foreign language before would struggle. They'd have a lot more groundwork to do. Whereas someone who had learnt a few languages in the past would probably find it easier - because they've gone through the process before.

Some people can just remember vocab and understand grammatical concepts easily, others may struggle. I remember reading in my Russian grammar book that 'the Accusative and Genitive form of animate masculine nouns are the same'. If you tell that to most people they have no idea what you're saying, but other people will understand. For me knowing stuff like that helps because I'm interested in the grammar, but in the end it's all about the way your mind works.

I'd suggest quickly figuring out which way of learning works best for you, i.e. for me I like seeing the language in real life - e.g. a newspaper, the news, a website etc., and then picking apart the sentence.

Let me know how your progress goes, good luck!

Kizza
1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6713 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 18 of 20
03 June 2009 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Paskwc wrote:

I think what Julie meant is that in order to become perfectly fluent (C2) you will at some time have to stop using instructional material and use native material. While instructional material is very helpful, it cannot take you all the way to C2.

That's exactly what I meant! (especially by the insufficient amount of audio)

kizza
Triglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5886 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Hindi, English*, German, French
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 20 of 20
06 June 2009 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Well you need years to learn most languages fluently, though I agree if you're learning to read and write Chinese, it can take longer than most other languages. Once you get past the tones, speaking and listening aren't too difficult, it's the reading/writing which make Chinese a memory challenge.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version