tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5561 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 33 of 54
15 June 2009 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
WillH wrote:
Bao, how do you find the Zürideutsch Swiss dialect? I've got to admit I can only grab a few words hear and there...

Depends on my prior knowledge of the topic and the speaker.
1 person has voted this message useful

AntoniusBlock
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5718 days ago

31 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 34 of 54
16 June 2009 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Antonius - never met anybody from Norrland I couldn't understand, that must be very unusual and the speakers can no doubt switch over to standard Swedish if necessary.

Yes, it is very unusual. Älvdalska is sort of an "island" of dalmål that has managed to stay quite isolated from the evolution of Swedish, and retain a multitude of archaic elements (parts of morphology, syntax, pronunciation, etc) from Old Swedish that are long gone in Standard Swedish. They even used runes up until 100-150 years ago. And yes, they can switch to Swedish without problems, they are bilingual.

Kris
Australia
Joined 5471 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 35 of 54
16 June 2009 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
I find English with a strong Indian accent hard to understand when talking face to face and near impossible when talking over a telephone. Whenever I get a telephone caller with the above accent I have to transfer it to another worker.

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6167 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 

Message 36 of 54
16 June 2009 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
I can't understand Canadian French very well. But that's only because I haven't been
exposed to it. With exposure it'd be as easy as anything.

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5633 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 37 of 54
16 June 2009 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, Indian English is a problem. I encounter it

1) In work - we outsource to India
2) HSBC call centre (and a few other ones too).

It gets a bit better with practice, but it IS a problem and it's a mistake to believe that just because somebody can pass some kind of exam, they can communicate with native speakers in an efficient manner.

I really appreciate the struggles that Indian people have though, it is not the fault of the individual that you are speaking to, it's the machinery behind. .

My other reservation is related to the fact that I don't necessarily 100% sympathise with the ideas behind outsourcing in the first place, and the attitudes the whole concept brings about in some colleagues + myself on a bad day.

Zeitgeist21
United Kingdom
Joined 5440 days ago

156 posts - 192 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 38 of 54
16 June 2009 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
zerothinking wrote:
I can't understand Canadian French very well. But that's only because I haven't been
exposed to it. With exposure it'd be as easy as anything.

I could say the same for Mandarin =D

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6689 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 54
16 June 2009 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
AntoniusBlock wrote:
I believe the most unintelligible Swedish dialect is Elfdalian, the Älvdalen dialect. It has retained a lot from Old Norse. I think it is on the verge of becoming officially defined as a separate language, the smallest North Germanic language perhaps, only 3000 speakers.

Yes, exactly. And thanks for clarifying the official English name of this dialect.

I have previously seen samples of Elfdalian, with voice recordings and a complete written analysis of what was actually being said, and my spontaneous impression was that it is at least as far removed from standard Swedish as German, if not further.

IMHO, based on linguistic grounds, it fully deserves to be classified as a separate language.

It's not merely a matter of a funny pronunciation and differences in a number of vocabulary items. There are ancient verb forms and many other grammar features that are different too.

Incidentally, did you know that there are isolated areas in Ostrobothnia ** in Finland with dialects almost identical to Elfdalian, that have also managed to survive over the centuries. In fact, I have personally spoken to someone from one of these areas (Närpes) who went to the Älvdalen area in Dalcarlia with a couple of others from his own village and when they started speaking in dialect the locals would simply not believe they were from Finland. They were accused of being from a neighboring village instead.

If the official language status is achieved, you can probably throw in Närpes and some of the surrounding areas, perhaps doubling the number of speakers of this "new" language (though I have no idea how many they actually are).

** This link does not work due to the broken linking mechanisms on this site that remove the paretheses around (region) at the end of the url.

Edited by Hencke on 16 June 2009 at 5:16pm

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5946 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 40 of 54
17 June 2009 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
Even if your an Irish native, some Irish accents can be hard to understand. I've had some difficulties with a strong regional Kerry accent, and some Donegal accents. When I was in school, our science teacher had a very strong Donegal accent, and asked the question, "What is a food permit?". She was greeted with silence, and asked the question again. This occured a couple more times until I eventually figured out she was saying, "What is a food pyramid?", and then I answered the question.

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version