Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

50 days to learn Spanish *fast*, but how?

Tags: Study Plan | Spanish
 Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
27 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6811 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 25 of 27
12 June 2009 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
Lizzern wrote:
try Assimil Spanish With Ease.

I strongly recommend you try this, but make sure you use "Espagnol sans peine". The course was originally designed for French speakers, so the translations should be a lot better. The course is structured to suit French speakers, and introduces the subjunctive early. The lesson on faux amis makes a lot more sense in French than in English.

L'espagnol sans peine is not marketed any more in France/Belgium /Switzerland/Monaco and the French Empire, we have the new "L'espagnol".I started with Sans peine, and then used the "l'espagnol"(made me progresse and stabilised my acquired Spanish). This latter one has a very handy dictionnary that heps me retrieve a forgotten word and it's context faster tha desperately browsing through the whole book. I remember the firs "sans peine " better, and I feel it better constructed, but it's just because I've worked more on it I guess, for example I never did the active phase on the recent "l'espagnol", i just shadowed and read it when not understanding.
1 person has voted this message useful

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6811 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 26 of 27
12 June 2009 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
I realise I'm parroting some of the posts I had not yeat read, sorry.

@ Cainntear: about native and acquired languages in 2 different regions in our brains:

I like the idea since it (very superficially, hence this is unlikely to be anything scientifically sound) seems to support my feeling one learns better when learning through another language than one's own (eg , I, a French frog, learn Quechua with the Pimsleur Quechua comprehensive I-II-III for English speakers, and that works better than when using Pimsloeur le Quechua pour les nuls en 3 niveaux).

But most neurological studies of any process that is a little bit complex, akin to language, usually does not fit with "one" brain territory, many parts of the brain are involved and on both sides, so I'm puzzled by what you state about native and acquired languages being separated; Do you know of any functionnal Magnetic resonnance Imaging studies ?

Edited by zorglub on 12 June 2009 at 10:29am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 27 of 27
12 June 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
zorglub wrote:
@ Cainntear: about native and acquired languages in 2 different regions in our brains:
But most neurological studies of any process that is a little bit complex, akin to language, usually does not fit with "one" brain territory, many parts of the brain are involved and on both sides, so I'm puzzled by what you state about native and acquired languages being separated; Do you know of any functionnal Magnetic resonnance Imaging studies ?

I think it was demonstrated fairly convincingly before the invention of MRI by studies into aphasia -- loss of language skills due to brain damage. There are various different types of aphasia, but the one of interest here is selective aphasia -- the partial or complete loss of one or more languages, but the retention of one or more others.

As I understand it, it's universal among sufferers to lose either all languages acquired in infancy or all languages learned as adults (although I don't think they established a clear boundary from these studies).

zorglub wrote:
I like the idea since it (very superficially, hence this is unlikely to be anything scientifically sound) seems to support my feeling one learns better when learning through another language than one's own (eg , I, a French frog, learn Quechua with the Pimsleur Quechua comprehensive I-II-III for English speakers, and that works better than when using Pimsloeur le Quechua pour les nuls en 3 niveaux).

I'd suggest the opposite -- I'd say that trying to do two things simultaneously with the same part of the brain is likely to be more tiring and confusing, but again that's just a gut reaction, not a scientific theory.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version