Oman
Joined 6052 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 33 of 39
11 June 2009 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 

Keith wrote:
Well, in Japanese a native adult speaker has about a 40,000 to 45,000 word vocabulary.

Who said that?!

A native well educated Japanese has less than 20,000 word.

1 person has voted this message useful

lecorbeau
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 5813 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Turkish

Message 34 of 39
11 June 2009 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
teddo wrote:
I wish I was born in bilingual country ....

Hate to say it, but in no way does this guarantee native bilingualism. Canada, Switzerland, and Belgium are multilingual countries where the language policies, as far as I'm concerned, are failing miserably.

keith1569
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5447 days ago

61 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Sign Language, Spanish

Message 35 of 39
11 June 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
So far no regrests..Currently I am torn for the next language that I am gonna learn. Granted I have a few years to figure it out, but still conflicted

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6232 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 36 of 39
11 June 2009 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
lecorbeau wrote:
teddo wrote:
I wish I was born in bilingual country ....

Hate to say it, but in no way does this guarantee native bilingualism. Canada, Switzerland, and Belgium are multilingual countries where the language policies, as far as I'm concerned, are failing miserably.

How do you think Swiss language policies are failing?

lecorbeau
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 5813 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Turkish

Message 37 of 39
12 June 2009 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
The languages in which their government operates may be a different story, but the Swiss people (French, German, and Italian-speaking...you can forget Romansch), in my experience at least, generally master English and have a tenuous grasp of another Swiss language.

I can't tell you how many Swiss I've met (inside as well as outside Switzerland) who have superior English skills but very iffy French or German. In that spirit, I have yet to meet a non-Ticino Swiss that speaks good Italian.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6232 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 38 of 39
12 June 2009 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
lecorbeau wrote:
The languages in which their government operates may be a different story, but the Swiss people (French, German, and Italian-speaking...you can forget Romansch), in my experience at least, generally master English and have a tenuous grasp of another Swiss language.

I can't tell you how many Swiss I've met (inside as well as outside Switzerland) who have superior English skills but very iffy French or German. In that spirit, I have yet to meet a non-Ticino Swiss that speaks good Italian.

It definitely varies. There are a fair number of Italian speakers in Grigione, for one.

On the purely anecdotal side, I'd point to the administrator of this website as a non-Ticinese Swiss who speaks good Italian.

I also find that, while there are quite a few monolingual Ticinese, many have quite high levels of French and/or German - often higher than their level of English. This is especially true of educated ones who are at least middle aged - most of them went to other regions in Switzerland for university.

Native bilinguals also help - at least in Ticino, French/Italian and German/Italian native bilinguals seem to be pretty common. They usually have one parent who natively speaks one language, and one who natively speaks the other.

The language policies, however, are somewhat per-canton. There was a bit of an uproar when some decided to teach English as a first foreign language before other Swiss languages. In light of this, I have trouble seeing how the -policies- are doing anything other than what they're designed to - even if that design is controversial.

neonqwerty
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5956 days ago

229 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 39 of 39
14 June 2009 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I'm sort of in LeCorbeau's boat...

I know a good deal of Italian and a bit of German. I started with Italian because I wanted my first language to be relatively easy, and I know French. I didn't learn Spanish because Spanish seemed like such a common extra language to have. I was motivated in part by vanity when I started, and I thought that learning Italian was a sexier proposition. I don't regret learning it, but if I had to do it over, I'd opt for Spanish instead. It was after moving to the US that I really started kicking myself for my decision to go with Italian.

As far as German goes, it's hard to say... I don't know enough to really judge, but I know too much to give it up for the sake of another language. I actually wanted to learn Russian, but the Russian course that my school was offering conflicted with my teaching duties, so German it was. It's more immediately useful to me than Italian (I'm in political theory / philosophy), and while it's purportedly quite a bit more difficult, I was surprised at how beautiful I found the language to be. Again, it's too soon to tell, but it also seemed slightly easier for me to grasp to logic of the language than it was for Italian.

So Italian may have been a bit of a mistake, but it's counterbalanced by German, which is a slightly pleasant surprise.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version