United States
Joined 5449 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, English*
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 25
20 June 2009 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
After spending tons of money on different programs and systems I found that Pimsleur is the best program. I have taught myself conversational Portuguese. However, like most Americans, I am impatient! While lisiting to the CD's, my mind wonders. I use to do it while driving to and from work; that was the best! Now that I work from home, it's hard to concentrate.

If there are some links to this previous question, please forward them to me! I searched but did not find. I know Pimsleur says not to take notes so I find VERY hard to just sit there. Please share your ideas and what has worked

1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5575 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 25
20 June 2009 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
Not while driving because that means the focus of your attention is on the road (and if it isn't your driving license should be taken away from you.)
Okay would be doing easy repetitive tasks, but walking might be best. There's research that at least in mice, walking at a fast pace facilitates long term memory because it increases the number of new neurons created in the hippocampus.
(For me, it's the only way I can endure Pimsleur, that and washing the dishes.)

Edited by Bao on 20 June 2009 at 11:13pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 3 of 25
20 June 2009 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
If you can't focus on it, it's not as good as you think.

Good learning is engrossing -- real learning is fun! The reason people think learning isn't fun is because there are just so many bad teachers in the world. >sigh<

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5575 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 25
20 June 2009 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I think the question was "best way to..." and not "should I or should I not?"

Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5553 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 5 of 25
21 June 2009 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
I think Pimsleur's method is the most flexible one you can find, due to its simplicity and organisation, so you can listen while driving, excercising or simply taking a walk outside (but you have to deal with the vague looks on people's faces while you mumble foreign sounds), and of course you can listen to it sitting at home but you may want to keep yourself busy with something doesn't take much concentration, like organizing you desk or washing dishes if you like.
I wish you'll find the best way for you and I encourage you to experiment yourself and find out .
Toufik .Algeria

Edited by Toufik18 on 21 June 2009 at 12:43am

Isarin
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 5448 days ago

34 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Japanese
Studies: Czech, Mandarin, Italian

Message 6 of 25
21 June 2009 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Exactly. Do your dishes, clean your apartment etc... I usually do some intense textbook/grammar/vocabulary work right before listening to a Pimsleur lesson. That way I can just sit there and relax a little for 10 minutes... and then get my dishes done. For me, Pimsleur is really just about the listening. Have you ever tried to make a full transcript of what is said in one lesson? It's not much, really. Plus you probably wouldn't know how to spell it (at least I never know...)

Hernandez
Diglot
United States
Joined 5449 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, English*
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 25
21 June 2009 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Thank you guys! First of all, Pimsleur while driving is NOT dangerous at all. In fact I found that it makes me
concentrate on the road more. It was great because a) it was scheduled every day! And b) it made focusing on
Pimsleur easy because I was already on the road. It takes about the same mental concentration as singing a
song

That's the reason for my post; I have a wondering mind and need to keep my hands busy. Cleaning up my
place while listening has helped! Also, I find that when I am getting ready is also good

If there are other suggestions, it would be great! I also have to promise myself to turn off the tv, put the
computer to sleep and set my phone to silent

Britomartis
Groupie
United States
Joined 5618 days ago

67 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 8 of 25
21 June 2009 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
I generally get hugely bored while listening to Pimsleur, so I try to anticipate what they'll ask me to say and repeat with a more entire form in the pauses. I find that closing my eyes helps block out distractions (or staring at the swirls on the screen).

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version