Spain
Joined 6703 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 25
21 June 2009 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
If it is not quite working to your satisfaction, experiment and find what is best for you. By all means try taking notes and see how that works for you. I agree with Bao though that it is best to avoid taking notes while driving.

Personally, Pimsleur actually worked best for me while driving (without taking notes), during the year and a half I spent slogging through all three parts of Pimsleur Mandarin. Walking was quite good too, and I once worked on the tapes while moving about doing some chores around the house to the initial amusement, and later irritation even, of wife and sister in-law. I never tried doing it sitting still but I have a feeling I would have been too restless for it to work well.

On the other hand, it is slightly confusing to me to see your question is about LISTENING to Pimsleur, Pimsleur was never meant to be just listened to. You are supposed to speak the answers out loud in the spaces provided after each prompt.

Edited by Hencke on 21 June 2009 at 5:31am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 25
21 June 2009 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
I think the question was "best way to..." and not "should I or should I not?"

Fair point, but I still think my point was valid.

Anyway, there was a recent thread on here about doodling -- psychologists reckon that doodling (scribbling silly little pictures on a piece of paper or the edge or your workbook) occupies the bit of the brain that is easily distracted and stops it thinking about other things that would get in the way of your learning (eg what´s for dinner tonight, what he/she said last night, I wonder whether German is any easier to learn...).

fsc
United States
Joined 6138 days ago

100 posts - 117 votes 
Studies: French

Message 11 of 25
05 July 2009 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Not while driving because that means the focus of your attention is on the road (and if it isn't your driving license should be taken away from you.)

This always kills me when I hear this. I don't know about you but I can actually see, hear, and walk at the same time. I do 95% of my audio studies while driving. Guess what happens when I see something that requires my full attention. I completely tune out the audio and put full attention into my driving. Do you think people get so mesmerized by doing audio lessons that they fail to see the road in front of them? Lots of people listen to the radio in their cars but for some reason I don't see cars scattered all over the road from accidents.

The human mind and body is a wonderful thing.

Watch this video.

I really have to question someone's driving competency if they can't drive and do an audio course at the same time.

Edited by fsc on 05 July 2009 at 3:54am

3 persons have voted this message useful

icing_death
United States
Joined 5670 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 12 of 25
05 July 2009 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
fsc wrote:
Do you think people get so mesmerized by doing audio lessons that they fail to see the road in front
of them?

Definitely. Somewhat related, in some places there are laws against using a cell phone while driving.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5575 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 25
05 July 2009 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
fsc, the problem is not the routine task - I am more than capable of doing three, four routine taks myself at the same time -, it's the elongated response time that might cost lives in case of an accident! God.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6703 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 25
05 July 2009 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
It's a similar activity as listening to the radio, or having a conversation with passengers in the car. Some people smoke while driving, I used to when I smoked many years ago. Glancing at a map once in a while to find your way is not all that uncommon either and probably a much greater risk, because there you do turn your attention visually to something else.

Personally I find I concentrate better on the driving when I am listening to something, especially something like a language course. It keeps my mind alert, maybe it's to do with increasing the blood circulation in the brain. It should be tested scientifically before we could be certain, but I strongly feel it doesn't affect my reaction time negatively, it might even improve it.

But we are all different, and the ability to multitask can vary a lot from one person to another. There was even a US president who was reputed to have an especially poor multitasking ability, to the point that he was incapable of chewing gum and riding a bike at the same time. Someone who feels it has any kind of negative impact for them when driving might be better off not listening to anything.

Edited by Hencke on 05 July 2009 at 2:54pm

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5888 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 25
05 July 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
icing_death wrote:
fsc wrote:
Do you think people get so mesmerized by doing audio lessons that they fail to see the road in front
of them?

Definitely. Somewhat related, in some places there are laws against using a cell phone while driving.

No, there are no laws against using a cell phone while driving that I'm aware of. There are however laws against holding the cell phone in your hand while you drive, so you need to use a bluetooth device for instance. Similarily to audio lessons in the car, it is not illegal to listen to music and you're also allowed to sing while driving, even if you don't hit all the notes. ;p
2 persons have voted this message useful

chloem14
United Kingdom
Joined 5499 days ago

21 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Latin

Message 16 of 25
06 July 2009 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
mrhenrik wrote:
icing_death wrote:
fsc wrote:
of them?

No, there are no laws against using a cell phone while driving that I'm aware of. There are however laws against holding the cell phone in your hand while you drive, so you need to use a bluetooth device for instance. Similarily to audio lessons in the car, it is not illegal to listen to music and you're also allowed to sing while driving, even if you don't hit all the notes. ;p

Actually, it is illegal here in the UK, and there are very stiff penalties for those who do - although i agree that audio lessons are fine, since the main objection with mobile phones was that they require a hand to be taken off of the wheel i think (I'm assuming that from the fact that handsfree sets are still allowed, and in fact actively encouraged)

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version