bcampoli5
United States
Joined 5421 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 11
28 June 2009 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
I have been looking at German for a while now and I have decided I want to learn
it. I have come across the Rosetta Stone program and it looks effective, but I'm not
sure if it really is. I even received the demo in the mail but even that doesn't tell me
much.

Is it worth it to buy Rosetta Stone? Is it even a good program?

Edited by bcampoli5 on 28 June 2009 at 5:37am

1 person has voted this message useful

Genocyde
Groupie
United States
Joined 5565 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Mandarin, Persian

Message 2 of 11
28 June 2009 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
Rosetta stone is good, but I'd suggest Livemocha.com, it's pretty much the same exact thing, but it's free, and you can interact with native speakers. I'd also recommend Pimsleur and Michel Thomas German courses, I'm doing all three of these and I have to say, my German is improving pretty fast. I have the Rosetta stone too, but after I started using Livemocha i stopped Rosetta stone.

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5668 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 3 of 11
28 June 2009 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
My opinion on Rosetta Stone, it is not, by my standards, effective. To me it is just an expensive flash card system, and the price is not worth it. You could be using your money on more effective products, and cheaper I might add, such as Assimil, FSI, Living Language Ultimate Series, Teach Yourself, and Pimsleur (depends from where you buy it and if it is used or not).

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5804 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 11
28 June 2009 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
I don't rate either Rosetta Stone or LiveMocha highly.

They both suffer from a lack of context: you are describing something in a picture, but there is no indication of how the language you are learning would be applied in a real-world context. Which it wouldn't anyway, because no-one ever says "the man is tall" "a boy is running" etc.

Also, neither is as fast as it could be, and "brute force" practise of this sort works best when you get the questions flung at you at high speed and answer as soon as you can. This is particularly a problem for LiveMocha because of its web format: after every question, you have to wait while it downloads the next one.

bcampoli5
United States
Joined 5421 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Studies: German

Message 5 of 11
28 June 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Ok thanks for everyones feedback. I already ordered Rosetta Stone and I'm going to see
how much I learn in a week or two. If i don't feel like it is sufficient, I'm probably
going to return it.

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6161 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 11
28 June 2009 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Hm, I don't think you can return or legally resell Rosetta Stone.

Sprachgenie
Decaglot
Germany
Joined 5502 days ago

128 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: German*, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Faroese, Icelandic, Flemish, Persian, Swiss-German
Studies: English, Belarusian

Message 7 of 11
28 June 2009 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Rosetta Stone will be great for a beginner. Once you have completed the program then I would recommend going through a German grammar book, to learn the (very complicated) rules that Rosetta Stone won't teach you.

Loopy
United States
Joined 5504 days ago

37 posts - 39 votes
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 8 of 11
28 June 2009 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
bcampoli5 wrote:
I have been looking at German for a while now and I have decided I want to learn
it. I have come across the Rosetta Stone program and it looks effective, but I'm not
sure if it really is. I even received the demo in the mail but even that doesn't tell me
much.

Is it worth it to buy Rosetta Stone? Is it even a good program?

German is my first "real" foreign language. I started it with Rosetta Stone. Since you are an absolute beginner (I assume?) it is a great start. Personally I would have only gotten it used or very cheap. There is better out there for your money. If you work for a couple of hours a day on Rosetta Stone, Pimsleur, and Michel Thomas, you will progress at a stunning rate. I also suggest picking up a grammar book at your local bookstore when you get the chance.

Viel Spaß!

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version