michael erard
United States
michaelerard.com
Joined 5903 days ago

24 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 41 of 149
03 January 2012 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye asked me to update in this forum, which I will be able to do intermittently, at least while the book is launching. But here is an interview I did with the CBC. The headline, "The secret to learning languages" isn't mine; I know as well as people here that there aren't secrets. But it attracts clicks, which is why writers and editors use it.

Also, a question: given that this is a community that figures prominently in the research and writing of my book, would people be interested in setting a time in the next month for a live chat discussion with me about the book and related topics? Let me know here or via other channels, and we can make it happen.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5636 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 42 of 149
04 January 2012 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
FIRST I want to read "Babel No More" myself and other people as well should get the chance of reading the book first, but I personally would be very interested in a live chat discussion with you.

It only can be tricky with the different time zones. There are lots of people from Europe in this forum and some from Asia - less from Australia and South America.

Unfortunately, there is quite a time difference between Europe and the United States. Have you calculated that as well?

Fasulye

michael erard
United States
michaelerard.com
Joined 5903 days ago

24 posts - 106 votes 

Message 43 of 149
04 January 2012 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Well, we could find an intermediate time, I'm sure. I have something of a flexible schedule.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 44 of 149
04 January 2012 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
I would be interested, if the channel chosen for the chat isn't too difficult to access

xd3qu1n0x
United States
Joined 6472 days ago

11 posts - 22 votes
Studies: Korean, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 45 of 149
04 January 2012 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
I would be very interested as well. Although being based in Asia makes my time a little
harder to work with, I wouldn't mind staying up late/waking early for a good language
discussion though!

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5636 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 46 of 149
07 January 2012 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
FR: Un nouveau article sur "Babel No More" en français

EN: A new article on "Babel No More" in French

Voici le link: / Here is the link:

Le mystère des hyperpolyglottes

Fasulye

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 47 of 149
07 January 2012 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
I'm not particular happy about this latest article. It states that polyglots often are introverts, which in itself is realistic (cfr. also our thread about personality types), but then uses a man as example who may or may not have been introvert, but first and foremost a insensitive jerk. And then the two neurological theories which are mentioned are 1) Baron-Cohen's claim that autists (sic!) have a "masculine" brain and 2) the entirely unproven postulate about a certain "Geschwind-Galaburda cluster". I hope Erard will add some more down-to-earth theories about the reasons for people to become/make themselves into polyglots and hyperpolyglots. And maybe we can also hear why his new definition of hyperpolyglotism operates with a lower limit at 11 languages. Isn't it just a scale with more and more extreme behaviour, but no fixed points where everything suddenly changes?

(but do check out the excellent article conlangs in films from the same French site).

Edited by Iversen on 07 January 2012 at 6:34pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

michael erard
United States
michaelerard.com
Joined 5903 days ago

24 posts - 106 votes 

Message 48 of 149
09 January 2012 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
All I can say is that I wrote a book that's nearly 100,000 words long, and the French article is about 400 words long. Also, as The Economist review noted, it's a serious book, which means there is a lot of subtlety to the discussion.

For instance, I do not say in the book that hyperpolyglots are more introverted. I cite the work of Madeline Ehrman, who found a high incidence of INTJs (on the Briggs Meyers Personality Type Indicator scale) among high-achieving language learners (4+) at the US Foreign Service Institute. However, the reviewers are pulling out that factoid, emphasizing it, and making it seem as if I state it so plainly in the book.

Please read the book!

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 149 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version