Bahrain
Joined 5528 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Japanese, French, Arabic (Written), Mandarin
Studies: German, Greek, Latin, Modern Hebrew, Aramaic, Persian

Message 1 of 12
13 July 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Hello all,

I wonder how many years this thread will sit here before ever getting a response. anyway, I am not good enough at Persian at this point to write this in Persian. But I had the idea a couple of days ago, in conjunction with my just getting started with Persian verbs, of discussing mnemonics for learning some basic verbs.

We all know how silly mnemonics are and how they are usually an embarrassment to tell anyone else. So, I am making myself vulnerable here in order to show how I just memorized (last night) a handful of basic verbs. here is what i came up with for a few verbs. I also find very complicated the whole business of knowing the actual infinitive (which is oftern very different from the verb stem), so I am just going to write stems here. Here is what I am working with: (xan)-to read, (xar)-to buy, (dav)-to run, (bin)-to see, (r)-to go, (nivis)-to write

xan is similar to the noun xana (house). it is sometimes said all you need to decorate the inside of a house is books, which you would read. thus: xan---to read. i.e. man mixanam, to mixani, u mixanad, etc

xar sounds a bit like the first part of "caravan". so think of a caravan going through the desert "to buy" goods. xar---to buy. ie. man mixaram, to mixari, etc

dav sounds like "dive", where i run on the beach there are people swimming and diving. thus, dav=run (at least for me). i.e. man midavam, to midavi, u midavad etc

bin sounds like "trash bin". we normally don't want people "to see" our trash bin, thus bin=see. i.e. man mibinam, to mibani, etc

rav sounds like "raft" in English (so does the actual infinitive: raftan). one goes on a raft, thus rav =to go. i.e man miravam, to miravi, etc

nevis, this one is a stretch. but Avestan is one of the main languages of Zoroastrianism. in the early middle ages the scriptures for this Persian state religion began to be written down for the first time, but it was "not" (na) the original language, that is to say the Avestan that was spoken when Zoroastrianism first began, centuries before that.. i,e. na avestan.   so, nevisi=to write. i.e. man minevisam, to minevisi etc.

any others? I find this works best for verbs, but it can be used for other words too.

Edited by todd godwin on 13 July 2009 at 10:21am

1 person has voted this message useful

sanjab_mahi
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5509 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: French, German
Studies: Persian

Message 2 of 12
02 August 2009 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
you are learning persian ! im half persian but my dad never spoke the language to me so i learnt it from scratch starting a few years ago... are you studyin the classical persian? a LOT of persian words are written differently to how they sound in every day speech. i had to learn this through experience! like 'khandan' becomes khundan. mikhunam mikhuni etc.... in a lot of words the alef sound becomes an 'oo' sound. also for example, the root 'dav' becomes 'do' in normal speech. 'midoyam, midoyi' etc. what books are you using?

i dont learn with mnemonics so not much help there ^^ but its nice to see people are learning persian!

pohaku
Diglot
United States
Joined 5447 days ago

192 posts - 367 votes 
Speaks: English*, Persian
Studies: Arabic (classical), French, German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 12
02 August 2009 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Sanjab--

The sound changes you describe as "everyday speech" actually sound like Tehrani dialect to me (though I haven't been there in a loooong time). I don't think that they're universal in spoken Persian.

If you check my other posts, you'll see a lot of information about classical Persian.

sanjab_mahi
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5509 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 4 of 12
05 August 2009 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
hey. i'm familiar with a bit of afghan and mashhadi persian as well as tehrani dialects.... the big difference im talking about is with the LONG vowels , and in this particular instance the 'ah' to 'oo' change. from my experience those are across the board. it is the short vowels which i notice are varying across the different dialects. (you might notice there is a vowel shift between irooni and afghani persian?)

GibberMeister
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Scotland
Joined 5604 days ago

61 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Catalan, Lowland Scots*, English*, Portuguese

Message 5 of 12
26 August 2009 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Persian has intyerested me for a while actually. Anyone got any links to decent sites for learning Modern Persian? Much appreciated if you do.

Z.J.J
China
Joined 5404 days ago

243 posts - 305 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 6 of 12
28 August 2009 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
بپرس آنچه ندانی که ذل پرسیدن دلیل راه تو باشد بعّز دانائی. - سعدی

dip
Diglot
Joined 5404 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Romanian*, English
Studies: Italian, Persian

Message 7 of 12
28 August 2009 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
http://www.easypersian.com/

sanjab_mahi
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5509 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 8 of 12
02 September 2009 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
oh yeah easy persian is great. the farsi books from the iranian national curriculum are also good.... not sure the name of the site, i know you can download them. i can put it up here later.. but if you dont already know some or dont have a good native tutor those books will be hard to use...

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version