Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
81 messages over 11 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 10 11 Next >>
healing332
United States
Joined 5420 days ago

164 posts - 211 votes 

Message 1 of 81
30 July 2009 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
This may sound bold but Krashen does not know what he is tallking about..on the subject of output.. he is WRONG..output is very important..output is one of the ways I learned Spanish in 5 months(speaking and understranding reading with anyone)
I am sure Krashen knows alot about learning languages but he has made a HUGE mistake with his silly indifference to output..He has done harm in my opinion with his emphasis on immersion and total imput..

Speaking activates a different part of the brain that is critical for language fluency and if done early will speed fluency ..Krashen has contributed to people waiting to speak which feeds the fear of speaking..
1 person has voted this message useful

Jimmymac
United Kingdom
strange-lands.com/le
Joined 5953 days ago

276 posts - 362 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 2 of 81
30 July 2009 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
What? Really? You learned Spanish in 5 months. Why didn't you tell us that earlier? if it was me I would go on and on and on about it.

Anectodal evidence is useful. Reputable references are better. If you ever add some to support your theories I would be happy to read them.
4 persons have voted this message useful

healing332
United States
Joined 5420 days ago

164 posts - 211 votes 

Message 3 of 81
30 July 2009 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
what does your answer have to do with Krashen..lets try to keep the topic on Krashen

Edited by healing332 on 30 July 2009 at 2:55pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

anamsc
Triglot
Andorra
Joined 6003 days ago

296 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Written), French

Message 4 of 81
30 July 2009 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
I don't see why more than one method can't be right. People have different learning styles and goals when learning
a language. People have learned languages to fluency in many different ways.

Also, I would agree with the call for reputable evidence. I know in the case of development of a native-like accent,
I have read scholarly articles (which I would be happy to site) that say that a waiting to speak is more effective than
speaking from the beginning. But again, it depends on your goals in learning. Some people have the goal of
someday being native-like, and some people want to communicate right away.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5535 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 81
30 July 2009 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Jimmymac wrote:
What? Really? You learned Spanish in 5 months. Why didn't you tell us that earlier? if it was me I would go on and on and on about it.

Aww, Jimmy, that's not nice! Didn't you read the other thread? Sarcasm is not polite, not constructive, is offensive, yadda yadda yadda.

Also, did any evidence ever get produced that this guy does actually speak acceptable Spanish? I stopped reading the 50 other threads before that question ever got resolved..

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5469 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 81
30 July 2009 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
healing332 wrote:
Speaking ... if done early will speed fluency

I know it is very macho to say that (in most things at least) you can get there quicker than the average bear. Certainly, there are videos on youtube of people who have studied a language for only a few days and are already talking (to a limited level admittedly). Great - you and others have proved your point - you can start speaking quickly if that is what you want to do.

My understanding - and admittedly I am not a great advocate of this, merely an interested observer - is that some experts think that delaying speaking may be helpful in the long run (at the expense of short term gains). They reckon it wires your brain differently, so you start to feel the language at some deep level that premature speaking interferes with. I have no idea if they are right - although the folks at ALG seem to be having success with it.

The main point, though, is that you seem to be viewing language acquisition as a sprint (first past the finish line wins) whereas the input-first folks view it as a marathon (where slow and steady wins the race).

Edited by Splog on 30 July 2009 at 3:22pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

healing332
United States
Joined 5420 days ago

164 posts - 211 votes 

Message 7 of 81
30 July 2009 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
These are great responses Thank you Splog

I agree that it can become a sprint as to who can get to the finish line first. I posted this on Krashen because current brain scan imaging shows that speaking in a second language activates a different part of the frontal lobe..it goes on to say that this is why it is possible to understand a foreign language and still not be able to speak it back..

In Florida and New York i have tons of Latino friends who can understand Spanish but cannot speak it..Science shows now that this is due to the speech part of the frontal lobe not being activated..

Krashen i feel encourages laziness and delayed speaking as you fill up on imput only..

The Speech part of the brain must be activated in the new language..This will be a challenge to shy people ..

Edited by healing332 on 30 July 2009 at 3:32pm

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5723 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 8 of 81
30 July 2009 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
I don't know. I prefer to get a fair amount of input first, to the point where things start to sound right or wrong. I then start speaking. I feel I would be speaking utter drivel otherwise and just annoying people, unless I had a native speaker on hand to correct me every 3 minutes.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version