gbarv
Groupie
Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Joined 5435 days ago

49 posts - 60 votes 

Message 74 of 81
05 August 2009 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
Quote:
It is true that instructed input does not automatically become intake, but without
explicit consciousness-raising of formal aspects of the language, they may be
learned too slowly—or not at all. Because of FSI’s specified time constraints, it
just does not work to let structures “emerge” naturally when they want to.

Edited by gbarv on 16 August 2009 at 3:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

dbh2ppa
Diglot
Groupie
Costa Rica
Joined 5486 days ago

44 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Japanese, Sign Language

Message 75 of 81
05 August 2009 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
the way i understood it, krashen separates language learning and language acquisition (language learning defined as a conscious knowledge of the rules of the language, an acquisition as the subconscious ability to understand the meaning of, and produce, correct utterances).
given that he makes no points against language learning, one could assume that within his theories, language learning is in fact seen as beneficial, since it makes new utterances comprehensible (after some conscious efford), which will turn them into i+1 input, thus helping that learned language become effordless acquired language more quickly.
as for the op's comments, krashen in fact speaks in favour of output, he is only against forcing the output out of the students before they are ready (and merely because it would raise the affective filter, not because generating incorrect utterances would be problematic). he even states that output is beneficial because it encourages more comprehensible input (making other people speak, and informing them of one's level, so they can roughly adjust their language to one's needs).
then again, we may never know whether the op has any kind of fluency in Spanish, so... i chose to believe in krashen's hypothesis because they work for me.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 76 of 81
05 August 2009 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
dbh2ppa wrote:
the way i understood it, krashen separates language learning and language acquisition (language learning defined as a conscious knowledge of the rules of the language, an acquisition as the subconscious ability to understand the meaning of, and produce, correct utterances).

You are perfectly correct (cfr p.10 in Krashen's book), and my formulation was wrong. Because I changed my formulation before its (next-but-)final version I wrote

only 'learning' is learning, and that only 'learning' in his eyes is effective.

but should have written

'learning' is 'learning', and that only 'acquisition' in his eyes is effective.

Needless to say there are also topics whee I agree with Krashen, for instance in his warning against pressuring people to deliver output too early and have it scrutinized too severely, and his diagram demonstrating the total lack of relevance of modern Linguistic AND pedagogic theory for language learning is simply hilarious (p.5)

Edited by Iversen on 05 August 2009 at 9:34am

Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5333 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 77 of 81
15 May 2012 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to respond to the thread starter here.

Krashen did not say that output plays no role in acquisition. Rather, he argued that
input drives acquisition and output emerges from the comprehension of input. When he
put forth his Monitor Model for second language acquisition back in 1982, he was in
turn criticised for its constructs being vague and largely unoperationable. He never
introduced a teaching 'method' but principles for how to better acquire a language. Of
them, he spoke about providing learners with copious amounts of language that is
slightly above their competence/level with acquisition following. This is part of his
Input Hypothesis (Krashen 1982, 1985). A teaching method would be based on it, its
called the Natural Method (Krashen and Terrel, 1983).

Despite Krashen's shortcomings, further research stemming from his theory elicited
further research and theories being devised, which led to shedding more light on the
role of input and output in acquiring a second language (as in the interactionist
paradigm and input processing theories). Of importance, is that input is the
fundamental source of data for building up that implicit knowledge of language that
underlies language use. Hence, both comprehension (reading and listening) and
production (speaking and writing) draw upon that knowledge. Therefore speaking does
not cause your knowledge of language/competence to grow, it accesses such knowledge and
is the result of it. Output with a communicative intent (i.e. using language in real
meaningful interaction where focus is on meaning as opposed to producing mindless
repetition and vocalising drills) with others will be of use in automising language
production and in an indirect sense provide more input from other interlocutors
responses to one's output produced.

Krashen was right in that input is the driving force behind acquisition, and did give
output a role, if one uses language for real communication and not mechanical
repetition and imitation as in drill practice. Whoever proposed on here that he said
to leave off output or speaking has made a straw man argument. Krashen was against
forcing learners to produce utterances before they feel ready to do so, as happens in
many L2 classrooms where instructors believe it is good to get learners to speak in
front of the class before they have even internalised the linguistic 'structure of the
day'.

If one wishes to mention Krashen, at least quotes his works or point to them so that
the readers are better able to make a well founded judgement on what he actually wrote
and said, not what others go around misconstruing.

In sum of Krashen's IH and further SLA research, if you want to learn a language, which
means building up an implicit knowledge which underlies language use, then one needs
input and can do so without speaking a single word. Without input, i.e. exposure to
hearing or reading that language one cannot acquire a language. Such input also needs
to be directed to the learner and pitched to their level so it is comprehensible, so
learners can extract meaning and as a result acquire form. Output/speaking has no role
in this. It is important in building up automisation of utterances and retrieval
skills, yet one can still acquire a language (for comprehension) without doing so. On
the other hand, one cannot acquire language by producing it (as in drill practice) if
they receive no input. Input and output have different roles in SLA. Input comes
first and output/speaking emerges (within communicative and meaningful settings) as a
result of internalising input.

Hence, in response to the title, Krashen cannot delay your fluency, neither does he
have
the power to. Furthermore what do we mean by fluency? Speaking abilities,
comprehension skills, something else?

Edited by Al-Irelandi on 15 May 2012 at 7:12pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5333 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 

Message 78 of 81
15 May 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
The main problem with Krashen is that he believes that only 'learning'
is learning, and that only 'learning' in his eyes is effective. I have looked through
much of the complete
book referenced by
gbarv and don't see any evidence that he accepts or understands the usefulness of
preparing for understanding - for him explicit grammar and wordlists are things that
only serve to build a control (the 'monitor') without contributing to the learning
process itself. And that's a very narrow conception. Being a conscious language
learner doesn't count for much in Krashen's world.

Iversen, it appears that you have mixed up what type of process for gaining knowledge
that Krashen values here. In his Acquisition-Learning Hypothesis (1982, 1985) he
dichotomised between language that has been 'acquired' and 'learned': the former is a
process where language knowledge is gained in a manner not dissimilar to how children
acquire the L1 and the latter ('learning') is knowledge gained by way of learning about
language as an object of study, i.e. consciously learning and knowing rules and the
like.

Moving onto your commment, you said that according to Krashen, "only 'learning' is
learning, and that only 'learning' in his eyes is effective.", however never has he
said this. Rather Krashen (1981, 1982, 1985) has always maintained that 'acquisition'
(a process like L1 natural acquisition) is necessary for acquiring a language, not
'learning' (a conscious and intentional effort undertaken to study a language).
Krashen has always been adamant that only 'acquisition' is important for developing
knowledge for language use. Krashen holds that 'learned' language knowledge can only
be used as a monitor, i.e. for editing language that has been already acquired under
certain limited conditions (where there is 'sufficient' time and a focus on
form/accuracy) and hence, according to Krashen, is of little use for real everday
spontaneous language use.

This acquisition-learning dichotomy has been a topic of much debate and Krashen was
criticised over it back in the 1980s, particulary for its unoperationable nature - how
does one determine whether a learner has 'acquired' some aspect of a language or has
instead 'learned' it, and how does one know if he/she is drawing upon one or the other
in spontaneous language use? This is a general problem with Krashen's overall theory
its vagueness and lack of direct evidence, not to mention its early pedagogical
implementation before it was researched and analysed.

Krashen's Monitor Model, none the less, has been highly influential in generating
further research in second language acquisition and despite its shortcomings (and there
are many) without out it, we would not be where we are today in terms of the direction
research has taken and the empirical evidence that has been found as a result.

Edited by Al-Irelandi on 15 May 2012 at 8:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5333 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 

Message 79 of 81
15 May 2012 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
dbh2ppa wrote:
the way i understood it, krashen separates language
learning and language acquisition (language learning defined as a conscious knowledge
of the rules of the language, an acquisition as the subconscious ability to understand
the meaning of, and produce, correct utterances).

You are perfectly correct (cfr p.10 in Krashen's book), and my formulation was wrong.
Because I changed my formulation before its (next-but-)final version I wrote

only 'learning' is learning, and that only 'learning' in his eyes is effective.

but should have written

'learning' is 'learning', and that only 'acquisition' in his eyes is effective.

Needless to say there are also topics whee I agree with Krashen, for instance in his
warning against pressuring people to deliver output too early and have it scrutinized
too severely, and his diagram demonstrating the total lack of relevance of modern
Linguistic AND pedagogic theory for language learning is simply hilarious (p.5)

Oops, didn't realise you 'recanted' here, lol.

But on the last point, it is hardly 'modern' any longer: both SLA/ALs and Teaching
pedahogy have changed significantly since then. Back then people were starting to
realise the problems with Audiolingualism (which Krashen criticised frequently for its
meaningless drilling and un-natural approach) and Paulston's 'traditional' instruction.
Today there has been a shift towards applying aspects of ALs/SLA to teaching theory and
teachers using that which has filtered through to their domain, especially in grammar
and skill-based activities. But there are still pedagogical materials based on
redundant audiolingual 'methods' being released. The situation is somewhat a mismatch
between practice, theory and what instructors feel that works, but not as bad as
before.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 80 of 81
16 May 2012 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
Al-Irelandi wrote:
This acquisition-learning dichotomy has been a topic of much debate and Krashen was criticised over it back in the 1980s, particulary for its unoperationable nature - how does one determine whether a learner has 'acquired' some aspect of a language or has instead 'learned' it, and how does one know if he/she is drawing upon one or the other in spontaneous language use? This is a general problem with Krashen's overall theory its vagueness and lack of direct evidence, not to mention its early pedagogical implementation before it was researched and analysed.

There are points where I agree with Krashen - in addition to those mentioned in my messages above I would like to mention the notion of 'comprehensible input'. The main problem with Krashen is his acquisition-learning dichotomi and especially the tendency to downgrade the learning part to some control function or even less. For me the most efficient learning method for an adult language learner with previous language learning experience and limited access to native speakers is to gain knowledge through 'learning' methods (including grammars, dictionaries, bilingual texts etc.) and then use 'acquisition' to make that knowledge operative. In fact I don't use his terms 'learning' and 'acquisition', but not as much because of problems in separating them as because of the basic meaning of those words in ordinary language: 'learning' is for me an essential part of the acquisition of a language. Instead I prefer speaking about extensive and intensive methods, which in practice to a large extent coincide with Krashen's acquisition and learning.   

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version