Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4673 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 9 of 12
05 January 2013 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
@ sans-serif: I know what you mean, these are little things I seem to find nowhere and
it's a shame that they are not introduced in learner's materials (the ones I have used
at least). I find the usual "it's similar to German/French ü/u" explanation to be quite
misleading.

I also find the long 'i' and 'y' to have another property that seems not to be
addressed in learning materials. To my ears, there is a particular buzzing effect going
on that is difficult to imitate. Somewhere I read about a 'Viby-i' or 'Lidingö-i', but
some Swedes claim this is a different phenomenon only present in those zones. However,
the buzzing effect I'm speaking of is present in beginner's materials (in words such as
'Maria', or 'by'), so I don't think it could be a dialectal feature. It's not present
in Finland Swedish either.

Any ideas?
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 12
06 January 2013 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Which material are you using? Although the buzzing long 'i' is somewhat geographically marked, it isn't unusual to hear girls from Stockhom use it. Hmm, haven't I written this before? Yes:
Use of "Viby-i/Lidingö-i" in Swedish

I wonder if it's our version of Valleyspeak.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4370 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 11 of 12
06 January 2013 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
I'd definitely say there's at least some buzzing/friction present in most Swedes' long I and Y sounds. The Viby/Lidingö-i, the way I understand the term, is just a more extreme case of the same phenomenon. If you don't feel any friction on your alveolar ridge when you make these sounds, chances are your tongue position isn't correct. In fact, it's probably easiest to start with an exaggerated buzz and then tone it down—that's what I did.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6470 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 12 of 12
06 January 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
I find that Swedish soft vowels are so "harsh" they all almost end in a consonantal sound, thus i, y and u are rather
pronounced like ij, yj and uv, ergo with an ever so slight buzz. The extreme cases like the Lidingö-i isn't even a
vowel but some kind of weird syllabic sibillant :P

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version