nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 17 of 70
30 September 2009 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
I want to accomplish a lot for the rest of today, because I have only one class and a two hour workout at the gym to
do. If I play my cards right, I can study from 6:00 pm to 12:00 am...I count watching TV in Hebrew as studying,
btw...The plan is to take a break for about 45 minutes to clean my room and eat something.

I will report my progress later.

1 person has voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 18 of 70
02 October 2009 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Yesterday was productive, today not so much. I haven't forgotten about flashbot and trying to extract Israeli TV
shows, that is an important project that I need to complete asap. Many of the shows that are available don't
have subtitles, which is slightly problematic for me, given my current level of comprehension.

I'm currently looking for free audio books in Hebrew and not coming up with anything other than the bible. I did
find some audio books on the itunes store, but these are not free and don't contain any books that I have a
particular interest in. A good friend of mine is currently visiting Israel so I will ask him to try to track down some
audiobooks and DVDs.

In other news, there appears to be myriad free audio books and accompanying texts in Russian. I am still a
beginner in Russian, so I lack the knowledge to benefit from these at this time. It is good to know that they're
there though!

I think learn hebrew pod, the Ora Band textbook, and the selections from the Torah with audio will keep me
busy for over a month. Not to mention the flash cards, anki, TV shows, etc... O.K. I'm good for now.

Pimsleur is supposed to release Hebrew level III on October 20th. I do not want to buy this and am hoping that
the library will stock this item. In fact, I should call them and suggest the title.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5710 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 19 of 70
02 October 2009 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
There are several Israeli TV shows available on eMule, and they even have Hebrew subtitles! What else could a language learner wish for?

On another subject, what intermediate Hebrew textbooks have you found?
3 persons have voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 20 of 70
02 October 2009 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Juan,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try to locate the shows on eMule.

Ora Band has a series of Modern Hebrew textbooks and I bought
pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-
1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0874413818&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd _r=0QHT16ZMX57Q99JYK165">level
There is also a level 3, which I have not yet looked at.

In other news, I'm now listening to "tcast" by Boaz Ordan. It is a technology podcast in Hebrew. It is useful for
me because the language is relatively simple and there are a lot of English loanwords. The djs are pretty funny
also...podcast can be downloaded from the itunes store.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 21 of 70
02 October 2009 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
eMule didn't work out for me. I tried to download the installer, but was unable to install. I have a Mac. I also tried
searching in both Hebrew and English for popular Israeli movies and TV shows, but couldn't locate anything. There
seems to be a pretty active support forum over there, so I'll try to figure out what the problem was after the Sukkot
holiday.

will try to memorize some flash cards over the holiday. חג שמח

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5710 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 22 of 70
02 October 2009 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Try searching for the following using either the Hebrew or the transliterated title:

הבורר (Haborer)
החברים של נאור (Hahaverim Shel Naor)
מסודרים (Mesudarim)
סרוגים (Srugim)
פולישוק (Polishook)
רביעיית רן (Revieyat Ran)
רמזור (Ramzor)
שירות חדרים (Shirot Hadarim)

I guarantee they're there ;-)

Of course you must figure out how to install eMule first, then search within it.

Edited by JuanM on 02 October 2009 at 9:59pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 23 of 70
04 October 2009 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Thanks Juan!

I spent a little bit of time today on flash cards and looking over the Ora Band textbook. I'll be able to get some
use out of the Band textbook, and I would highly recommend it to people who want to learn Hebrew and have
the help of a tutor. There are no answers to the exercises, which bugs me and is why I think it's difficult to
benefit fully without a teacher's help. On the other hand, there are many short stories in the book that are quite
moving, funny, or generally entertaining or enlightening. And the book was very reasonably priced.

Hebrew:
434 flash cards out of 1000 now completed

Russian:
I am studying Russian?
Right. off to do some more Pimsleurs

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 24 of 70
06 October 2009 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
I've been thinking about focusing exclusively on Hebrew for the rest of the Gregorian year.

Pros:
I prefer to reach basic fluency in one language rather than high intermediate in several.
My best friends are Hebrew speakers
I live in a neighborhood with a high concentration of hebrew speakers so I have lots of strangers to harass (I
mean speak with)
I can say that I'm bilingual on my resume
I can watch TV and movies without Hebrew subtitles
I can understand the original language of my ancestors.

Cons:
I'll have to change the name of my journal
So many Russian, Spanish, and Yiddish speakers in my neighborhood I won't be able to speak to.
I'll have to be disciplined. I can't succumb to Wanderlust.
Lack of enjoyable materials in Hebrew language relative to Russian and Spanish.
Will have to figure out how to get this emule or flash bot thingie to work properly so I can watch films and TV.
Otherwise I will never learn Hebrew. I need the exposure.
all that work I spent on Pimsleur Russian and Michel Thomas...down the drain..

edit: decided to master Hebrew first before undertaking serious study of any other language...If I feel like doing
a couple of Russian Pimsleurs or reading Spanish, French or Yiddish newspapers once in awhile...it's O.K.

Edited by nogoodnik on 06 October 2009 at 6:01am

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version