nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5388 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 33 of 70
20 October 2009 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
First, a problem: I can't figure out how to copy and paste into Anki...I'm hoping I'm just a moron and there is a
way to do this.

So, as I said previously, I benefitted a lot by following certain aspects of the AJATT method. Now I've decided to
also try the sentence mining and SRS. Essentially, it is searching native materials for sentences and memorizing
them through SRS. AJATT suggests 10,000 sentences, but Hebrew is significantly less complex so I doubt I'll
need that many.

Also, If I sit down and analyze the newspaper sentence by sentence, I can usually understand some of what I'm
reading. I think I was just shocked the other day when I began trying to read ynet. I was overwhelmed by the
amount of the words on the page.

Yesterday I was out with friends and unable to listen to the Hebrew music or podcasts. I was feeling anxious
and uncomfortable and wanted to get home as soon as possible because I missed the Hebrew language. Am I
turning into Eliezer ben Yehuda? A sociopath?

I think my brain has become used to hearing the language all of the time and likes it. Now if I can only get my
brain to stop liking ice cream I would be totally set :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Lemanensis
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
hebrew.ecott.ch
Joined 5743 days ago

73 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, German, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 34 of 70
21 October 2009 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:
Reading is still really difficult. I bought a Hebrew language newspaper to read on Saturday and I got a massive
headache. There are just so many words that I didn't know how to pronounce and I really missed looking at
vowels.

Hi, Have you had a look at Yanshuf newspaper? It's made for beginners, some articles are pointed (with vowels) others not, it has a glossary of words for each article (though not all of them) and you can get a CD with the articles read out loud by native speakers.

I think it's very good and useful.

And have a look at the resources on www.hebrew.ecott.ch

Regards,

Lemanensis

2 persons have voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5388 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 35 of 70
22 October 2009 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
lemanensis-Thanks for the suggestions, especially the website with the links. I checked out yanshuf, and the
cheapest subscription I could find was $75.95..אני קמצנית so that didn't work out.

So an update,

My listening skills are still improving at a rapid pace. I really need to work on my reading. One of my
housemates, an Israeli guy, has just returned from Israel. We are very good friends, so he doesn't mind if I abuse
him with Hebrew practice. He's agreed to speak only Hebrew with me, and I'll answer in English if I have to.
Unfortunately, he keeps forgetting and going back to English. I respond, מה קרה לך? אני לא מבינה אנגלית. Poor
unfortunate fellow.

He came home and was surprised with all of the Hebrew items around the house. "Who's been staying here?
What's with all the Hebrew newspapers, books, and movies?" I explained that I've created an immersion
environment and that we now are living in Israel. He says I have too much free time on my hands.

Lemanensis
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
hebrew.ecott.ch
Joined 5743 days ago

73 posts - 77 votes 

Message 36 of 70
22 October 2009 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:
lemanensis-Thanks for the suggestions, especially the website with the links. I checked out yanshuf, and the
cheapest subscription I could find was $75.95..אני קמצנית so that didn't work out.

Perceptions are very different, I guess.

I pay $154 for a year, and get the newspaper + CD every two weeks (except for the summer break). So I reckon that is cheaper, and more effective, than buying an Israeli newspaper - which cost a lot overseas - and having to struggle with the lack of vowels and having to look up all the words myself instead of having a glossary. Time is very much money to me... and time generally wins out in the toss-up.
I did think of sharing a subscription but I don't know anyone else who's learning Hebrew around here.

You're very lucky to have people to practice with. I had an Israeli colleague, but he wouldn't even speak to me, even less in Hebrew! So I resort to speaking to myself and also naming objects around me, though they don't change very much.

To get around that problem I was going to enrol in an ulpan at the local Israeli/Jewish cultural centre. But that would be about $800 for classes once a week over 9 months!

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5388 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 37 of 70
23 October 2009 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Lemanensis wrote:
nogoodnik wrote:
lemanensis-Thanks for the suggestions, especially the website with
the links. I checked out yanshuf, and the

Perceptions are very different, I guess.

I pay $154 for a year, and get the newspaper + CD every two weeks (except for the summer break). So I reckon
that is cheaper, and more effective, than buying an Israeli newspaper - which cost a lot overseas - and having to
struggle with the lack of vowels and having to look up all the words myself instead of having a glossary. Time is
very much money to me... and time generally wins out in the toss-up.
I did think of sharing a subscription but I don't know anyone else who's learning Hebrew around here.

You're very lucky to have people to practice with. I had an Israeli colleague, but he wouldn't even speak to me,
even less in Hebrew! So I resort to speaking to myself and also naming objects around me, though they don't
change very much.

To get around that problem I was going to enrol in an ulpan at the local Israeli/Jewish cultural centre. But that
would be about $800 for classes once a week over 9 months!

You are right; the newspaper seems like a very useful tool. For whatever reason, Hebrew papers are pretty cheap
here, so I'm a little spoiled in that respect. I'm also a bit short of money right now so that factors in. בחצלחה
and maybe we can speak Hebrew together someday!

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5388 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 38 of 70
26 October 2009 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
I have a problem. I know I should be doing more "SRSing" but it friggin bugs me and it takes forever to input
sentences and phrases.

If I could figure out a way to copy and paste sentences this would make my life much easier.
After that I need to find a source of interesting sentences, which I can manage, but is still annoying.
The SRS session itself is not so bad once you get used to it but is not fun.

The reason why I want to continue to use SRS is because it dramatically improves my reading and speaking
abilities, two areas that I need help with.

Otherwise, the studying is going strong and is loads of fun. I listen to podcasts and watch only Israeli movies.
My flatmate is on the phone all of the time and I get to eavesdrop.   We've been invited to Shabbas dinner by an
Israeli family, which means I get to practice my skills and potentially meet new people. Flatmate has gotten with
the program and now speaks almost exclusively Hebrew with me.   

Lemanensis
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
hebrew.ecott.ch
Joined 5743 days ago

73 posts - 77 votes 

Message 39 of 70
26 October 2009 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
okay, I haven't worked with ANKI (but have used BYKI!), but have sometimes encountered problems about not being able to copy and paste text into other applications. Have you tried going via an intermediary application - such as a .txt file (I don't know what it's called in English. It's called a bloc-notes on my computer so perhaps it's a notepad?). If you have the Hebrew keyboard installed then that might work. Then you copy and paste into ANKI. Or else - use the virtual keyboard. I've been able to copy and paste from that handy site very easiliy.

I agree that inputting words takes a long timeand is frustrating. I haven't found a good way of going it with BYKI except very slowly. However, I do notice that the input process itself is a useful part of the learning... if that's any consolation.

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5388 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 40 of 70
02 November 2009 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Lemanesis: You are right, the input process does improve learning.

I'd really like to finish this 1000 word pack of Modern Hebrew vocabulary cards that promises to teach you 5000
words. It appears that I'm over 3/4 finished, but I'm too lazy to count the cards and I didn't keep them in order so
the numbering is useless.

I've decided to take desperate measures: no ice cream until I finish the set of cards. When I finish, I'll allow myself
to study a bit of Russian or French for a couple of hours and eat chocolate ice cream.

Ah, bribery.

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version