soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6714 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 35
04 September 2009 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Gubz wrote:

im sorry new here what course? has im desperate to learn Lithuanian has well but never been able to retain a language in my head :S

The course they were referring to is here.

And to the original poster, I would recommmend Lithuanian. It might be slightly harder but there are more resources for it, including the fantiastic podcast Lithuanian out loud, which is great for getting you to practise speaking and also concentrates on difficult parts of grammar. I cannot recommend it enough.
You can find an interactive course with audio at Oneness City, there are some lessons at Debeselis, and more lessons with audio here and here.
If you have any more queries about Lithuanian try the Unilang Lithuanian forum and the Debeselis forum.

The better resources for Lithuanian means you'll have a slightly easier time tacking your first Baltic language, and you'll be better prepared when you eventually take on Latvian.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Jurga
Triglot
Lithuania
Joined 5237 days ago

19 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Latvian
Studies: German, Arabic (classical), French

Message 10 of 35
05 January 2010 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Well, there is a little difference between these. I am Lithuanian and though I wasn't able to understand Latvian at first, but after putting some effort studying it..well, I could survive in Latvia I think:) Latvian is more modern, influenced by Russian and German. Lithuanian is more archaic.It is said to be the most conservative 'living' Indo-European language and therefore it is studied by many reasearchers. In addition, yes, there are way people speaking Lithianian.(I don't want to sound biased though).

Lithuanian is a hard language. Latvian is a bit easier I think... I wouldn't advise learning both as you can get mixed up soon:) But both are very melodic and beautiful:)
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5942 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 11 of 35
07 January 2010 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
I never thought before of studying Lithuanian (I really didn't know very much about it), but I went to that course that unzum gave a link to here and it seems very interesting and surprisingly easier (so far) than what I thought. Of course, I have so far only completed the first twelve lessons, but I feel that it is a very nice course and I have learned a bit of Lithuanian and done some outside research about Lithuanian now... Anyways, thank you for that link. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kuunhalme
Pentaglot
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5967 days ago

25 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Hungarian, Latvian
Studies: Polish, Spanish, Dutch, Georgian, Lithuanian

Message 12 of 35
09 January 2010 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
Having studied both languages, I must say that Latvian is somewhat easier to learn, although in my case it is partly due to Latvian being phonetically closer to my mother tongue Finnish than the more archaic Lithuanian. Using Latvian verbs is no piece of cake, it is easier than using Lithuanian verbs. When learning Lithuanian, you need to have audio material to learn how a word is pronounced because the stress is irregular and some vowels in a written text can theoretically be pronounced in more than one way.

As other people already have pointed out, the main problem in learning Latvian might be the scarcity of adequate material. But if you manage to find the three-volume "A grammar of Modern Latvian" by Trevor G. Fennell and Henry Gelsen in a library, you have everything and more to get started with Latvian. It's one of the most comprehensive grammar-based language courses I've ever seen. I wish I had a similar book for Lithuanian...
5 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6072 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 13 of 35
10 January 2010 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Comparative linguists seem to find Lithuanian the more interesting, because of its archaic Indo-European traits.
I have encountered speakers of both languages.

arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5071 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 14 of 35
20 June 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Like someone said here - Lithuanian is more an archaic language. It could be similar in sounding to Polish. Don't know much about the vocabulary. But as a Latvian, I can say that Latvian is more influenced by other languages - Latvian has many words that are taken from other languages - German, Swedish, even Finnish. So if you are more familiar with Germanic language vocabulary, you could try Latvian, but mu suggestion is to learn both at the same time - then you will learn both languages and see the differences and similarities. I do this with Swedish and Danish.

Ubik
United States
ubykh.wordpress.com/
Joined 5116 days ago

147 posts - 176 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, Arabic (Egyptian), German, Spanish

Message 15 of 35
22 June 2010 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Im making this same decision right now too. I have a thread on here: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=21326&PN=1 which I posed the same question. After the responses and listening to them both I decided on Latvian. I think it sounds much crisper and cleaner. But then again, the sound of it may not be a critreion for you or maybe you like the sound of Lithuanian better...

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6800 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 16 of 35
31 August 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Hi,
I'm considering doing a trip to the baltic states.
I don't speak russian.
I can learn basic survival Lithuanian, but is it understood in Latvia ? Well I suppose estonian is more like
Finnish right ?

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version