Joined 5641 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 11
19 September 2009 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
I order and buy all my books in my local German bookshop. Before ordering a certain book I surf in the internet to print out the ISBN or EAN as a precise info for my bookshop. It's not a problem to order fictional books in common foreign languages such as English, French, Italian or Spanish there. Dutch books I directly buy in the Netherlands and for non-fictional books there's no real solution for me. That's a bit of my disadvantage that I can't buy non-fictional books in foreign languages.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 19 September 2009 at 9:22pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5560 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 10 of 11
20 September 2009 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
European languages are relatively easy to order in Europe, you'll just have to ask whether they work with a supplier that has books in a certain language. You also can get lucky in cities with a lot of tourism, both in the regular book stores and in used book stores. For Japanese I used to go to the Japanese bookstores in Düsseldorf.

Edited by Bao on 20 September 2009 at 12:19am

pohaku
Diglot
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

192 posts - 367 votes 
Speaks: English*, Persian
Studies: Arabic (classical), French, German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 11 of 11
20 September 2009 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
I get Persian books from ketab.com, which has a storefront shop in Los Angeles.

My friend got us Arabic books from an Arabic bookstore nearby, which also has an on-line presence (but I don't know the name).

I've gotten many German (and other) books from our local university library (where I pay to have privileges as a community member), but a mold bloom (!) has closed off that portion of the stacks for a few months.

I've ordered books in German and many other languages from abebooks.com, an international collective of booksellers.

I've found books in many languages for sale (cheap!) at our benefit booksale for the state library system.

I know that there are on-line sites specializing in Turkish, Czech, and other sorts of books, though I have not used them.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version