Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Latin and the Romance language Family

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: How important is Latin for mastery of the Romance Language family?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [9.77%]
11 [8.27%]
41 [30.83%]
23 [17.29%]
45 [33.83%]
You can not vote in this poll

36 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>
stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5631 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 25 of 36
25 September 2009 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
tritone wrote:
Snesgamer wrote:
The modern Romance languages are so closely related, that learning one confers roughly the same advantages towards learning the others as Latin would.

I would go further, and say that learning a romance language provides far more advantages towards learning another romance language, than learning latin would.

Despite the lexical similarities, the syntax and grammar of latin seem to be almost completely alien to the romance languages, and I can't imagine how it would help in any way.

I totally agree. I speak 4 Romance languages and have only a rudimentary knowledge of Latin.

Edited by stelingo on 25 September 2009 at 9:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Americano
Korea, South
Joined 6645 days ago

101 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 26 of 36
26 September 2009 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
The keyword is 'mastery'. Since the question is about mastering the Romance language family, and Latin is the base upon which the Romance languages developed, I would argue that you have not truly mastered this family until you have mastered Latin. My 2 cents.

Edited by Americano on 26 September 2009 at 7:15am

Frankette
Diglot
American Samoa
Joined 5335 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 27 of 36
28 September 2009 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
I studied Latin at school and university, but no modern Romance languages: it made learning to read and converse (badly, but enough) in Italian a doddle..

Except I still often say "facere" for "fare" :-)

Snesgamer
Groupie
Afghanistan
Joined 6410 days ago

81 posts - 90 votes 
Studies: English*, German, Spanish, Norwegian, Scottish Gaelic

Message 28 of 36
30 November 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Eh, most Romance languages are on the easier side of the scale when it comes to learning, and once you know one (any one, not just Latin) the rest become even easier.

Latin is still very useful for a myriad of reasons, but the argument that it makes other Romance languages easier is becoming a little obsolete.

JS-1
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5782 days ago

144 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), German, Japanese, Ancient Egyptian, Arabic (Written)

Message 29 of 36
30 November 2009 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
I don't see how it's important at all -although it is fascinating.

pookiebear79
Groupie
United States
Joined 5829 days ago

76 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Swedish, Italian

Message 30 of 36
30 November 2009 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
I voted not important at all. For me, at least, this is the case. If I want to learn a living Romance Language, it makes more sense (for me, anyway) to just study that language. I've never had any interest in Latin. I understand some people still have to learn Latin in school, luckily by the time I was in school, where I live, it wasn't a required subject anymore, at least not in public (read: not religious) school. I know my late stepfather and my high school best friend were raised Catholic and had to learn it in parochial school, though.

I'm not terribly interested learning in "Ancient" languages as a whole, that's just me, because I have a limited amount of learning time, memory problems, and several other languages I am interested in squeezing into my brain, so that's the way my priorities fall.

I would personally have zero personal use for Latin, Ancient Greek, Old Church Slavonic, etc, even in the use of studying a modern related/descendant language.

However, if I were doing a thesis or some other scholarly work on one language group, then my answer probably would be different.

I can of course see how it would be useful to someone who, for example, wants to make a comparative study of a specific language family. Or someone who has a religious motivation to learn the language, or whatever.

But for my interests and goals, the answer is a definite no.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5921 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 31 of 36
01 December 2009 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
pookiebear79 wrote:
I would personally have zero personal use for Latin, Ancient Greek, Old Church Slavonic, etc, even in the use of studying a modern related/descendant language.

However, if I were doing a thesis or some other scholarly work on one language group, then my answer probably would be different.

I can of course see how it would be useful to someone who, for example, wants to make a comparative study of a specific language family. Or someone who has a religious motivation to learn the language, or whatever.

I would agree with you. I study Ancient Greek due to my interest in being able to study and read the New Testament in the original Koine Greek. If I didn't have this specific use for it, it would hardly seem worth the considerable effort required to learn this difficult language.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6115 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 32 of 36
26 April 2010 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
It's interesting, reading this thread, I had always assumed a great benefit in knowing Latin that would help substantially with the descendant Romance languages. I'm assuming Vulgar Latin was significantly different from the Classical form then?

I know French pretty well, and my Spanish is coming along very nicely. I was tossing up between Latin or Italian as the next language, but it seems it would be pointless studying the former to make the latter easier. Ridiculous, even. I recall ProfArguelles greatly stressing the importance of Latin as a reference point for all the other Romance languages, so perhaps there would be a big benefit to knowing it if one wanted to take the whole family? By Latin, I am referring to the classical form here.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version