Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Latin and the Romance language Family

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: How important is Latin for mastery of the Romance Language family?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [9.77%]
11 [8.27%]
41 [30.83%]
23 [17.29%]
45 [33.83%]
You can not vote in this poll

36 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4
William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6071 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 33 of 36
28 April 2010 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
I voted "not important at all". It will probably do no harm to such an aim to know Latin, but it is hardly indispensible. The Romance languages generally reflect Latin only in vocabulary, the complex case system of Latin usually being lost, and even then, not all Latin vocabulary made it into the Romance languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5919 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 34 of 36
28 April 2010 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
The Romance languages generally reflect Latin only in vocabulary

exactly, and usually its the vocabulary that was directly borrowed from Latin.
2 persons have voted this message useful

NativeLanguage
Octoglot
Groupie
United States
nativlang.com
Joined 5137 days ago

52 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: French, Spanish, English*, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek, Portuguese, Catalan
Studies: Japanese, Mayan languages, Irish

Message 35 of 36
28 April 2010 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
I suppose it depends on whether or not you include Latin in the Romance language family.

If you do, then, it is critical to learn it or you will not have 'mastered' the family.

However, if you are only including the modern Romance languages when speaking of mastering the family, it probably makes more sense to learn another Romance language than it does to learn Latin.

I've found it extremely valuable to study Romance linguistics. This will teach you what sorts of patterns to look for in various branches of the family as well as the major differences between eastern and western Romance languages. It will put you on solid footing as you work to learn additional languages in the family.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5921 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 36 of 36
28 April 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
NativeLanguage wrote:
I've found it extremely valuable to study Romance linguistics. This will teach you what sorts of patterns to look for in various branches of the family as well as the major differences between eastern and western Romance languages. It will put you on solid footing as you work to learn additional languages in the family.

Yes, exactly. It is possible to build a "pan-romance" foundation from which you can have a basic understanding of the entire family. From that foundation it is then fairly easy (although time consuming) to master specific languages in the family as needed. I view the entire family as "Modern Day" Latin. Some of the individual members are very important to me (Spanish and French), some are very interesting to me but not important (Italian, Portuguese) and Romanian, Catalan, and the dialects are not of interest to me.

Ancient and Vulgar Latin are of limited interest to me because I prefer Ancient Greek and Biblical Hebrew when it comes to the Ancient Languages category. I have a specific purpose for these: Studying the Bible in the original languages.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version