5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 28
26 September 2009 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
Lingua wrote:
Learning Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish is not really like learning three languages. It's more like learning 1¼. The Scandinavian languages and German and Dutch are all Germanic languages. French, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese are all Romance languages. These are all languages that are closely related to English. My Portuguese and Dutch are only at a basic level. So I have only learned 5¼ languages to a very advanced or near-native level. With my native English that makes 6¼ languages that I am highly proficient in.

Many polyglots learn languages that way. They take advantage of languages being closely related. I don't, because I have learned every language as a separate entity and I still do it this way. This causes more work, but it helps me to keep languages strictly seperate and it reduces language interferences.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 26 September 2009 at 10:11am

2 persons have voted this message useful

snoppingasusual
Quadrilingual Hexaglot
Groupie
Lebanon
Joined 5381 days ago

49 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Egyptian), French*, English*, Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (Levantine)*, Spanish

Message 10 of 28
26 September 2009 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
After you learn fifteen or so languages, everything will start to become related.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lingua
Decaglot
United States
Joined 5390 days ago

186 posts - 319 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 11 of 28
26 September 2009 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:

Many polyglots learn languages that way. They take advantage of languages being closely related. I don't, because I have learned every language as a separate entity and I still do it this way. This causes more work, but it helps me to keep languages strictly seperate and it reduces language interferences.

I also learn each language as a separate entity. Since I learn languages from extensive exposure to comprehensible input it would be difficult not to. However anything that is the same or similar in a new language makes it easier to acquire, even without consciously seeking to exploit the similarity.

Edited by Lingua on 26 September 2009 at 1:27pm

ronp
Heptaglot
Australia
ronpeek.blogspo
Joined 5908 days ago

33 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German, Flemish, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Norwegian, Mandarin, Esperanto, Finnish, Macedonian, Hindi, Greek, Indonesian, Lithuanian, Basque, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic (Written), Sign Language
Studies: Turkish, Swahili

Message 12 of 28
26 September 2009 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Interesting thread and posts.

I would agree that there are many different types of polyglot, depending on
such factors as number of (core) languages learned/studied/acquired and actively
being studied, proficiency levels across skills range (listening, reading, speaking,
writing, signing, thinking/feeling in the language), cultural knowledge, as well as
language maintenance and current use - it is not just about acquisition. It is also
about the joy of discovery, learning and communicating. I currently think that one
could position oneself, or be described (two different things), as a polyglot along
a continuum, taking into account the above factors, which would include the three
general groups identified in the other posts made in this thread. That is, if one
would like to be described as a polyglot in the first place - some people do, some
people don't, and to some it doesn't matter.

As for me, I have a few core languages that I work with professionally as
a translator, some others at intermediate level for communication, reading,
listening and enjoyment, and a range of others I dip in and out of, with
occasionally more indepth study, time and commitments allowing. If a language
interests me, or if I meet some people who speak it, I like to learn more
about that language, who speaks it, where it is spoken, how to speak//read/write/
sign in it, etc., and then it is up to me how far I want to take things (i.e.
skills and proficiency level). Also, I believe that serial language learning
(including maintenance) is a lifelong process, languages for life, so to speak.

Ron

Edited by ronp on 26 September 2009 at 9:52pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Xenoguy
Triglot
Taiwan
Joined 5451 days ago

16 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Mandarin
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 13 of 28
28 September 2009 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Long ago, I also remember seeing references in a linguistics publication to yet one other type of learner, which if I recall correctly is a “serial competency, multi-lingual polyglot”. The term looks a little redundant, but has an explanation.

The difference is that this type of polyglot knows or may be learning a group of languages at the same time, but as each new language or group of languages is learned, others become rusty or tend to become passive. Thus, this polyglot always has competence in a number of languages, but not in the same ones over time. In essence, as each new language is learned, an old one falls off.

I tend to fit in this category. But as my brother once cautioned me, “You shouldn’t describe yourself as a serial anything—people might get the wrong idea.”

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5661 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 28
28 September 2009 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Xenoguy wrote:
The difference is that this type of polyglot knows or may be learning a group of languages at the same time, but as each new language or group of languages is learned, others become rusty or tend to become passive. Thus, this polyglot always has competence in a number of languages, but not in the same ones over time. In essence, as each new language is learned, an old one falls off.

(EDIT) I won't give any advice!

I deliberately abandoned three languages (Russian, Ancient Greek and Portuguese), because I only learned them having a good occasion. But I am always very busy keeping my other languages alive and in good shape, which is not easy for me without being able to travel or having much native spreaker contacts.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 30 September 2009 at 8:48am

Xenoguy
Triglot
Taiwan
Joined 5451 days ago

16 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Mandarin
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 15 of 28
29 September 2009 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
Hmm...a Moderator in the Polyglot Forum has advised that I am not a polyglot because I'm rusty in some languages even though I’ve worked and lived in 8 countries and still read books and watch movies in those languages…what to do?

I am not looking to compete with anyone for the title of Supreme Polyglot of All Time. I always appreciate the forum’s quest to share insight into this fascinating topic, but often wonder if psychological needs--instead of linguistic parameters--have the greatest impact on the definitions that are floated here.

Sometimes this can be a harsh group (and on the other hand, sometimes the truth hurts). Still, I hope we can veer away from the way of thinking epitomized by the quote, “it is not enough that I should win; my opponents must also lose.”

Anyway, if I can’t be a polyglot, please suggest an appropriate term for me.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5661 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 28
29 September 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Oh, I thought you had lost your language skills completly. This happened to me, because I lost my language skills in Russian, Portuguese, Ancient Greek and Danish. Therefore I don't list these languages in my profile.

If you have reading and listening skills in many languages, that's worth a lot. Wouldn't a "polyglot of passive language knowledge" be appropriate?

Fasulye

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version