Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
28 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6518 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 28
23 October 2009 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
janababe wrote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to read lots of languages, including different alphabets, without learning the language like in school (no grammar ...). Like a reading, pronouncing polyglot?

It would either take an insane amount of exposure OR be limited to languages close to those you already know. I have for instance not studied Galician, Corsican, Sardinian or Faroese, but because they are close to things I already know I can generally make sense of things I read, - and under favorable conditions also of things I hear. But I don't list such languages in my profile because I basically understand them via some other language (or combination of languages), not as independent entities.

On the other hand I would list passive languages - for instance the 'rusty' languages mentioned by Xenoguy or my Latin while I was learning it in the 70s. But one major limitation of the system for indicating levels in this forum is that it doesn't make that distinction, and such languages could therefore never rise above the beginners' level on my list, no matter how well I understood them - I allways categorize my languages after my weakest skill, which generally is speaking. Others can judge things differently, but this is my position.

Edited by Iversen on 23 October 2009 at 11:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

janababe
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5329 days ago

102 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German

Message 26 of 28
23 October 2009 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for that, Iversen. Are there any languages you don't speak? ;)

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6775 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 27 of 28
23 October 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
janababe wrote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to read lots of languages, including different alphabets, without learning the language like in school (no grammar ...). Like a reading, pronouncing polyglot?

An Italian gentleman ,Riccardo Bertani,knows 100 languages ,some of them are:
Russian,Ukrainian,Serbo-Croatian,Basque,Etrurian, Ajunu,Samojedian,Persian ,Tungusian,Mongolian, Siberian,Lapponian,Jugakirian,Orochian,Longobardian, Rutulian....
He translates, writes dictionaries and grammars but he never moved from his village and don't speaks most of the languages he knows....

To know more about hime you have just to go to google and search for "Riccardo Bertani un poliglotta sedentario" (in Italian)

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5382 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 28 of 28
26 October 2009 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
janababe wrote:

Well, I personally have spent a lot of time studying phonetics and the phonologies of the world's major languages. The only alphabets I can read are Latin, Cyrillic and Greek (Japanese kana too, but strictly speaking that's not an alphabet). I can make an attempt at reading any language written in those alphabets, and at least for well-known languages (e.g. Portuguese, Finnish, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Swahili, Indonesian, etc.), I can read words slowly and not completely butcher the pronunciation, though I'm sure I still have a very strong accent, and I obviously won't be able to tell things like where the stress is in a language where stress isn't regular. Also, of course, I can't understand any language unless it's closely related to one I'm already familiar with. Of the languages I haven't studied, I can only understand written Scots, Dutch, Italian, Portuguese, Catalan and to a certain extent other minor languages like Corsican and Luxembourgish.

Edited by Levi on 26 October 2009 at 12:42am

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version