01 October 2009 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
JasonBourne wrote:
'09 graduate
Economics Major w/ Japanese Studies Minor
Magna Cum Laude
$30,000 debt
ZERO job prospects

Education: worthless since 2009

Are you serious with this? Really? So you graduated a few months ago but haven't gotten a job in your field yet (in the worst economic recession since the Great Depression), and you've already decided that "education is worthless?"

Go get 'em, tiger. That's the can-do attitude I like to see.

PS - I do agree with the above poster who said that an undergrad degree is like the new high school diploma.

PPS - There's a mindset these days that education's sole purpose is to get you a good job. There's so much more to it than that. No wonder our (U.S.) educational system is going downhill so fast, if all there is to education is vocational school. What ever happened to actually getting an education?

Edited by OneEye on 01 October 2009 at 3:16am

5 persons have voted this message useful

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5688 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 82 of 169
01 October 2009 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
sebngwa3 wrote:
Yes, I meant you could join the military and go to DFI. I read that if you get Chinese you are safe doing translations in the States but if you get Arabic you have to interpret in Iraq which can be dangerous: "They'll send you to Iraq, Afghanistan, or Korea every other year if you are an linguist. If you are a Chinese language linguist, you are in good shape, though. You'll be deployed to Maryland for 4 years" http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ak2hI4QhV0PD NzOK0iIyAOexSAx.;_ylv=3?qid=20090926230616AA5yvZJ

I'm probably not going to enlist/join the military actually. For employment, I was thinking more along the lines of FBI or something more along those lines.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6249 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 83 of 169
01 October 2009 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
Glendonian wrote:
Even the penguin?

I was intellectually starved and unhappy in elementary school. Here in Toronto, the cost of sending two children
(and there were three of us) to private school is just shy of the average Canadian household income. I can certainly
see the advantage of having lots of money for your family, provided it gets invested in good things like this. My
parents would have liked to be loaded enough for that.

Yes, even the penguin. I want lots of pets.

Just an elaboration of situation in Korea. If you are a non-science major, some companies just throw away your job application and CV without reading them unless you are a Business major or Economics major.

Such is the harsh reality here. I just need to deal with it. Besides, I can always double major in something else and go on to do postgraduate in something more interesting if I get a chance.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5424 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Lowland Scots
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Italian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean

Message 84 of 169
01 October 2009 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon, I really respect your high aims. My best friend is Korean (working in Seoul), so I know a little about the challenges you are going to face, so good luck reaching your goals.

This does bring up some interesting observations about the value of education and choosing a major in the eyes of employers in many different cultures. I've heard a lot of things from a lot of different places, but it would be great if other people would like to chime in on the comparative value of a "competitive major" as well as what other options exist in a realistic manner.

Edit: OneEye - hear hear!

Edited by Belardur on 01 October 2009 at 3:32pm

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6172 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 85 of 169
01 October 2009 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
I majored in East Asian Languages merely because I wasn't interested in anything majoring in anything else. I studied some linguistics but was quite bored with the courses I took.

I teach English in Korea (and enjoy it), so my major is somewhat relevant.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5977 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English

Message 86 of 169
01 October 2009 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
JasonChoi wrote:
I majored in East Asian Languages merely because I wasn't interested in anything majoring in anything else. I studied some linguistics but was quite bored with the courses I took.

There is East Asian Languages major? May I ask what college? I thought most colleges only had Asian Studies in which you have to take some classes on cultures of Asia, not just the languages.

sebngwa3
Diglot
United States
Joined 5977 days ago

200 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English

Message 87 of 169
01 October 2009 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
delta910 wrote:
sebngwa3 wrote:
Yes, I meant you could join the military and go to DFI. I read that if you get Chinese you are safe doing translations in the States but if you get Arabic you have to interpret in Iraq which can be dangerous: "They'll send you to Iraq, Afghanistan, or Korea every other year if you are an linguist. If you are a Chinese language linguist, you are in good shape, though. You'll be deployed to Maryland for 4 years" http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ak2hI4QhV0PD NzOK0iIyAOexSAx.;_ylv=3?qid=20090926230616AA5yvZJ

I'm probably not going to enlist/join the military actually. For employment, I was thinking more along the lines of FBI or something more along those lines.

What would you be doing in FBI or CIA? I'm guessing translating foreign documents?

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6663 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 88 of 169
01 October 2009 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
sebngwa3 wrote:
JasonChoi wrote:

There is East Asian Languages major? May I ask what college? I thought most colleges only had Asian Studies in which you have to take some classes on cultures of Asia, not just the languages.

I'm not Jason Choi but I can say that University of Texas at Austin offers a major in Asian Cultures and Languages, which is described as being "intended for students desiring to focus on one country or language," rather than the Asian Studies major, in which you pick a region (East or South Asia) and study more culture than language. This is my major, with an emphasis in Chinese and a minor in Japanese (hopefully). Here are the course requirements for a major in Chinese (outside of the general education requirements, the special requirements for the College of Liberal Arts, and requirements for a minor):

24 semester hours including at least 21 hours of upper-division coursework:

* 3 hours Classical Chinese, chosen from CHI 322 or CHI 340
    * 3 hours upper-division Chinese, chosen from CHI 320L, CHI 330, or CHI 340
    * 6 additional hours upper-division Chinese coursework
    * 3 hours specified Asian Studies Senior Seminar ANS 378
    * 9 hours (including 6 upper-division) additional Asian Studies coursework related to China

They require you to choose a minor, and here are the guidelines:

* 12 hours of coursework in an approved area including 6 hours of upper-division coursework

OR

* 9 hours beyond 507 (including 3 upper-division) in a second foreign language (i.e. a language other than the one used for the Liberal Arts Foreign Language Requirement). Students may choose a minor from virtually any department or program in the university.

You may choose a minor from virtually any department or program in the university. Transfer students should remember that 60 hours must be taken in residence at UT Austin.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version