Hong Kong
Joined 6151 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 89 of 169
01 October 2009 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
I am currently studying business and I will get to chose my major next year. I don't exactly know what I want to do later on but finance seems interesting. The only thing I am certain about is that I want to live and work in mainland China; I don't know how I will get there yet but I know I will.
1 person has voted this message useful

jessikt
Triglot
Groupie
Austria
ichestudiolangues.co
Joined 5643 days ago

98 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: SpanishA2, Swedish

Message 90 of 169
01 October 2009 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
I am going to study "Transkulturelle Kommunikation" and "Romanistik" at the University of Vienna. Transkulturelle
Kommunikation is Translation and Interpretation (with English, German and Spanish (and maybe French) as the
working languages) and Romanistik is romance studies, so learning about romance languages and the countries in
which they are spoken. You focus on two languages so I would focus on French and Spanish to compliment my
Translation studies. I keep also being tempted by Linguistics and German philology, but I think I will stick with my
original plan.

I am not exactly sure what I am going to do as a career. Right now I am thinking Translation or Teaching, or both?
Or neither... Hmm.. :)

kirahvi
Heptaglot
Finland
Joined 5343 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, Polish, Slovak, English, German, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Ukrainian, Icelandic, Mandarin

Message 91 of 169
01 October 2009 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Master's in German with political science and Slovak as minors, working on a second Master's in Polish with Russian and Ukrainian as minors.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5656 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 92 of 169
01 October 2009 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
jessikt wrote:
I am going to study "Transkulturelle Kommunikation" and "Romanistik" at the University of Vienna. Transkulturelle
Kommunikation is Translation and Interpretation (with English, German and Spanish (and maybe French) as the
working languages) and Romanistik is romance studies, so learning about romance languages and the countries in
which they are spoken. You focus on two languages so I would focus on French and Spanish to compliment my
Translation studies. I keep also being tempted by Linguistics and German philology, but I think I will stick with my
original plan.

I am not exactly sure what I am going to do as a career. Right now I am thinking Translation or Teaching, or both?

I also studied three years of Romance Philology (called "Romanistik" in Germany), so I know what your study subject is about.

Fasulye
2 persons have voted this message useful

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5684 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 93 of 169
01 October 2009 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
sebngwa3 wrote:
delta910 wrote:
sebngwa3 wrote:
Yes, I meant you could join the military and go to DFI. I read that if you get Chinese you are safe doing translations in the States but if you get Arabic you have to interpret in Iraq which can be dangerous: "They'll send you to Iraq, Afghanistan, or Korea every other year if you are an linguist. If you are a Chinese language linguist, you are in good shape, though. You'll be deployed to Maryland for 4 years" http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ak2hI4QhV0PD NzOK0iIyAOexSAx.;_ylv=3?qid=20090926230616AA5yvZJ

I'm probably not going to enlist/join the military actually. For employment, I was thinking more along the lines of FBI or something more along those lines.

What would you be doing in FBI or CIA? I'm guessing translating foreign documents?

Yeah, most likely translating foreign documents really. But then, to me, I wouldn't really mind what I do or where I go for the job just as long as I do something in language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jessikt
Triglot
Groupie
Austria
ichestudiolangues.co
Joined 5643 days ago

98 posts - 102 votes 

Message 94 of 169
01 October 2009 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
jessikt wrote:
I am going to study "Transkulturelle Kommunikation" and "Romanistik" at
the University of Vienna. Transkulturelle
working languages) and Romanistik is romance studies, so learning about romance languages and the countries
in
Translation studies. I keep also being tempted by Linguistics and German philology, but I think I will stick with
my
original plan.

I am not exactly sure what I am going to do as a career. Right now I am thinking Translation or Teaching, or
both?

I also studied three years of Romance Philology (called "Romanistik" in Germany), so I know what your study
subject is about.

Fasulye

And, how did you like it? :) What sort of classes do you take?

TannerS
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5418 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 95 of 169
01 October 2009 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
I will be going to college next year. At the moment I am planning on taking a course in German, Russian, and Spanish each semester. Additionally, I will also probably take classes in creative writing as well. I'd really like to learn how to write good prose and poetry! I'm excited that I will not have to take many general education classes, as I will have college credit going into my college career.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not three or four foreign language classes per semester plus an extra class or two in English would be too much work? I suppose it may vary depending on the university, but I have experience with a college level Russian language class. I found it to be challenging, but not to the point that I am unable to see myself taking three or four similar classes simultaneously.

jessikt
Triglot
Groupie
Austria
ichestudiolangues.co
Joined 5643 days ago

98 posts - 102 votes 

Message 96 of 169
01 October 2009 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
TannerS wrote:

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not three or four foreign language classes per semester plus an
extra class or two in English would be too much work? I suppose it may vary depending on the university, but I
have experience with a college level Russian language class. I found it to be challenging, but not to the point that I
am unable to see myself taking three or four similar classes simultaneously.

As long as you are interested in the languages (which I assume you are, because you're here!) and are willing to do
the work necessary then I don't think it would be too much.

This discussion contains 169 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version