Message 89 of 108
31 January 2011 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
1. English

2. Spanish
3. French

4. Arabic
5. Russian
6. Portuguese

Ranking of languages makes sense only if we know the criterion or criteria on which the ranking is based. This might be numbers of speakers, political or economic significance, its spread around the world, cultural impact, or other factors.

I am ranking here "global languages" - those languages that are well-known and spoken in many countries around the world and play a major role in global politics, business and cultural life.

The only true global language, the one who fulfils all these criteria, is English. It is followed, at a large distance, by French and Spanish. In the 18th and 19th centuries French held the first rank, in the 20th century only second, and by 2050 it will probably have been relegated to third rank, mainly due to the rise of Spanish. As has been noted in this thread, Spanish is now gradually replacing French as second choice in foreign language acquisition in schools of several countries, which really indicates something like a cultural shift. Apart from this my proposed ranking for 2050 is identical to that for the present.

Then there are three others which may not be really global, but nevertheless truly international languages on a grand scale. Arabic is the main language in great parts of the Islamic world and provides a sort of cultural link between those countries and also among Muslims living in other parts of the world. Russian as the language of a former superpower still plays a role, and outside of Russia continues to be spoken or known by many people in the periphery of the former Soviet territory which includes great parts of Eastern Europe and Middle Asia. Portuguese is the native language of several countries in at least three continents, though outside South America on a rather minor scale.

I did not include any of the Chinese languages in the list, because their status is, and probably will remain, rather that of regional languages, as is that of Japanese - which after decades of dizzying economic growth, export, a considerable number of emigrants, and intensive international travel is still of hardly any discernible significance outside Southeast Asia apart from some minor cultural pursuits.

3 persons have voted this message useful

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6460 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 90 of 108
31 January 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Let's not forget: many of the people who will be speaking those languages in 2050 are alive in 2011 and speaking them today. Granted, they'll all be at least 39 or 40 years old but in many cases they'll be the parents of the younger speakers of those languages.

Most languages have many more native speakers than speakers as a second language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5835 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 91 of 108
01 February 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Kronos wrote:
apart from some minor cultural pursuits.

If you mean anime and video games, then I'm not sure "minor" is the appropriate word here.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ichiro
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6010 days ago

111 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Malay

Message 92 of 108
01 February 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
No, these are definitely minor pursuits.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5835 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 93 of 108
04 February 2011 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Ichiro, "minor" pursuits that are immensly popular in the whole world. Anime is so influential even American cartoons are becoming anime-like. Anyway, here's one possible reason Chinese won't ever be the N1 language:

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2011/02/01/video-chinas-pro perty-bubble

Essentially, the guy is saying that the current boom in the Chinese economy is just a gigantic bubble. China could avoid a disaster if it manages to channel that "massive hidden debt" he's talking about, but it is by no means a certainty.

Edited by Sennin on 04 February 2011 at 4:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6466 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 94 of 108
24 February 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
The Steinke Index gives an estimation for the economic importance of languages in 2025 (the ranking is based on the projected GDP of countries using the languages):

1) English
2) Chinese
3) Japanese
4) Spanish
5) German
6) French
7) Italian
8) Russian
9) Portuguese
10) Korean
11) Arabic
12) Dutch

I think 2050 is too far away to make any safe predictions. A lot can happen in 40 years: imagine what someone in 1970 would have predicted for 2010, there is no way that he would have imagined Korean to make the top ten in 2010, since South Korea was a dirt-poor country back then.

There are some really big countries like Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria, or the Philippines which no one really has on their list but which could make a huge difference if any of them experienced a similar growth in the next decades.

Also, the future of some big languages like Spanish, French, and Arabic is rather uncertain. It is very likely that all of them will be very influential, but it's not at all clear to what extent. In my opinion, French has a huge potential for growth in Africa.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4901 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 95 of 108
25 February 2011 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
WANNABEAFREAK wrote:
Everyone, how on earth can hindi or urdu get to be important global languages? It's only spoken by Indians and basically ALL of them speak English for anything that involves information technology. I even asked an Indian guy at work and he said Indians will all use English at work even though they can speak Hindi. They simply don't learn Hindi words etc at university.

And, why are people associating ECONOMY with language importance. There are other factors as media and popularity in terms of culture. Why is cantonese still popular? It's because of the movies and entertainment that Hong Kong produces that attracts people to do it from the mandarin population.

Then if we just look at economy, China is eventually going to be more and more expensive which will deter the rest of the world from using them as a cheap source of goods. I went to Shanghai last week and it was ridiculously expensive to buy food and buy anything.   

As you guys are simply looking at economy as a factor of making the top 10, why is German consistently not regarded as anything? but its economy is awesome. It is obvious that USA will be effectively 1/2 Spanish and 1/2 English in the future with the continual growth of immigrants from south america. So Spanish is going to be of course top 5 for sure.

I simply hope that Canada takes a "practical" approach in promoting French outside of Québec

Spreading French would be awesome, but I'd be fine with simply avoiding Spanish. Then I would have someplace nearby to flee to when the Spanish language infestation reaches a crtical point.

Does anyone remember how people used to say that sun never set on the British Empire?

Unless China goes forth and conquers I think it's going to have a hard time passing English.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 25 February 2011 at 4:23am

Maks
Croatia
Joined 4812 days ago

15 posts - 9 votes

Message 96 of 108
08 March 2011 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
TOP 100 RANG LANGUAGES:
http://www.translated.net/en/languages-that-matter

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version