1. Chinese (all types)
2. English (all types)
3. Arabic (all dialects)
4. Russian
5. Spanish (all types)
6. Japanese
7. German
8. French
9/10.Portuguese and Korean(if there is Korean unification, Korean takes the higher
slot)
11. Italian
12. Turkish and mutually intellible forms of Turkic
13. Indic (all largely mutually intelligible types: Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, etc)
14. Dutch with Afrikaans
15. Bahasa (Malay with Indonesian)
16. Polish
17. Mutually intelligible Scandywegian
18. ex Serbo-Croat group
19. Hebrew
20 Phaasa Thai (all dialects, and with Lao)
21. Czech with Slovak
22. Swahili
23. Vietnamese
24. Ukrainian
25. Greek
26. Farsi (unless Iran ends up being on the receiving end of US "attention" in the way
Iraq did, in which case I'd push it several spaces higher)
27. Romanian with Moldovan
28. Tagalog
29. Bulgarian
30. Armenian, unless it's Pushtu.

Probably thirty's enough.

This is by economic value, and the business and employment options that you would get
from knowing the language. Populations speaking these languages as first languages
would give an entirely different listing.

This is a very exhaustive list, I would say. I like the way you group similar
languages together. I would change the last two spots though:

29. Finnish with Estonian
30. Bengali / Hungarian

Edited by topaztrex on 22 June 2011 at 10:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Quinn
United States
Joined 6112 days ago

134 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish

Message 106 of 108
23 June 2011 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
Here are my late picks for the top 5:

1. English - Even given China's rise as an economic leader and it's edge in the number of native speakers, English was already the lingua franca before the Internet took off and now it's completely ubiquitous. Besides, it's hard to imagine millions of Westerners becoming fluent in Mandarin in the near future.

2. Mandarin Chinese - China is the next superpower and Mandarin is the most widely spoken native language on the planet. These two factors alone will ensure it's place as one of the world's most dominant languages.

3. Spanish - The entire continent of South America (aside from Brazil) speaks Spanish and it's the fastest growing language in North America, too. Moreover, birth rates tend to be higher in many of the cultures where Spanish is the dominant language and Spanish speakers have been emigrating for decades, establishing communities all over the world. Finally, Spanish is probably the most widely-studied second language by native English speakers.

4. Arabic - The Muslim world is rapidly democratizing. With its wealth of natural resources, a large, young, and highly educated population, and a rich history as a language of religion and scholarship, Arabic seems positioned to become one of the world's most influential languages. Also due to religious/cultural barriers some pockets of the Arabic-speaking world do not share the same close contact with English as most of the rest of the world, which means these populations won't adopt English at the same rate as others. One factor working against Arabic is the reality that there are so many different dialects which are not mutually intelligible.

5. Russian - With the collapse of the Soviet Union, there's no question that the Russian language has lost influence. However, it is still spoken by a very large population and it is different enough from English and other Western languages, that many native speakers of Russian only know Russian, which means one must learn it to speak with them.

I actually expect that in the next few decades we are going to begin seeing strong evidence of language consolidation. With the rise of the Internet and cable television, I expect young people will gravitate more and more to English or to whichever language is most dominant in their sphere of influence (perhaps Mandarin in parts of Asia.) Eventually, I suspect that even some major languages will begin to wane. Much has been written about the decline of French as a lingua franca, but the Francophone world is still quite large and justifiably proud of the influence of its language and culture. However, in many countries such as the Netherlands and Germany, English is already so common that it's become almost a second national language. Given the reach of English/American pop culture, media, and the Internet, I expect this trend to gather increasing momentum with each new generation.

Edited by Quinn on 23 June 2011 at 2:47am

MarcusOdim
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4636 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 

Message 107 of 108
20 September 2011 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
My selection is based on my life and what would matter for most Brazilians (not only economically)

1. English (hehehe)
2. Spanish (hehe)
3. Mandarin (he)
4. French (widespread and economically/politically/culturaly important)
5. Italian (rather important culturaly)
6. German (economically/politically important and culturaly important in the south of Brazil)
7. Japanese

That's all

I'd learn Russian too just because it's cool

learnvietnamese
Diglot
Groupie
Singapore
yourvietnamese.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4738 days ago

98 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 108 of 108
21 September 2011 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
My prediction regarding Japanese is that it would be the top 10 most popular languages in 2050, if it can keep its status as one of the top economies in the world.

I've met a number of friends in Southeast Asia, and a lot of them study Japanese, especially for those who already speak English and Chinese. And one of the main reasons is that they love Japanese culture.

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version