tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5661 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 50 of 509
18 December 2009 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
FAQ-NL: Difference between 'maatschappij and 'bedrijf'?

I think of maatschappij=company and bedrijf=business, where company is generally large, well-established such as Philips or Microsoft, and a business is general smaller such as a local business. However, both are often used interchangeably. Is that the same situation with 'maatschappij and 'bedrijf'? Are there other differences?
1 person has voted this message useful

Vinbelgium
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 5619 days ago

61 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, English, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 51 of 509
18 December 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:

Bedrijf and maatschappij are synonymous. They both mean 'company'. However 'maatschappij' also means 'society'; then it's synonymous with 'gemeenschap, samenleving'.
Bedrijf is more commonly used in the meaning of 'company'. 'Maatschappij' (meaning 'company' only occurs in some fixed expressions.

E.g. 'NMBS' = Nationale Maatschappij der Belgische Spoorwegen
Een luchtvaartmaatschappij = an airline
Het gaat niet goed met de maatschappij. = Het gaat niet goed met de samenleving.

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5264 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 52 of 509
19 December 2009 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Sellars wrote:
I can see why you'd prefer the -n- to belong to the word preceding "het". I don't think that necessarily has to be the case. The h- from "het" is dropped in connected speech. In my ipinion the -n- is a connection between "legde" and "het", whereby the -n- does not belong to any of the two words. The phase becomes something like "legde-n-et op zijn knie".

I don't know about Netherlands-Dutch, but in Flemish the "connector n" appears in a lot of circumstances before vowels, and the letters b, d, t and h, for examples:
1) diminutives: Dat manneke van [...] but Dat manneken dat [...]
2) superlatives: Het ergste was [...] but Het ergsten is [...]
3) male nouns: De man [...] but Den andere man [...]

Some Flemings might deny saying this, but if you listen to them speak you'll hear it quite clearly, even from those who speak very close to standard Dutch.

Edited by elvisrules on 19 December 2009 at 2:15pm

Sellars
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5255 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 53 of 509
19 December 2009 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
elvisrules wrote:

I don't know about Netherlands-Dutch, but in Flemish the "connector n" appears in a lot of circumstances before vowels, and the letters b, d, t and h, for examples:
1) diminutives: Dat manneke van [...] but Dat manneken dat [...]
2) superlatives: Het ergste was [...] but Het ergsten is [...]
3) male nouns: De man [...] but Den andere man [...]

Some Flemings might deny saying this, but if you listen to them speak you'll hear it quite clearly, even from those who speak very close to standard Dutch.

Exactly! This phenomenon is also common in Netherlands-Dutch. At least, it is in the south of the Netherlands (Brabant). I have no intuition about the "Holland" dialects and the dialects in the north of the Netherlands, and I'm also not familiar with any linguistic evidence on this, but I suspect it is not very different.

Sellars
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5255 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes

Message 54 of 509
19 December 2009 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Vinbelgium wrote:
tommus wrote:

Bedrijf and maatschappij are synonymous. They both mean 'company'. However 'maatschappij' also means 'society'; then it's synonymous with 'gemeenschap, samenleving'.
Bedrijf is more commonly used in the meaning of 'company'. 'Maatschappij' (meaning 'company' only occurs in some fixed expressions.

I know Maatschappij only in very old-fashioned contexts. Intuitively I would say using maatschappij for a business precedes the 1950's

koffiegast
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5255 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 55 of 509
21 December 2009 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
I don't think that I've ever heard of a connector n.

I'm from around Amsterdam (but don't have an Amsterdam accent that replaces z with sj sounds for example)

Sellars
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5255 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes

Message 56 of 509
21 December 2009 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
koffiegast wrote:
I don't think that I've ever heard of a connector n.

What I tried to explain was what is called assimilation in phonology. In assimilation the preceding phoneme(s) can adopt features from the following phoneme, in this case the tongue in the front of the mouth, ready to pronounce the "d". Try saying "n" and "d" following eachother a few ties to get the feel of it.

koffiegast wrote:

I'm from around Amsterdam (but don't have an Amsterdam accent that replaces z with sj sounds for example)

What you describe is called devoicing. It is common in the western-Dutch dialects. It happens to all voiced fricatives (z -> s, v -> f)

This discussion contains 509 messages over 64 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version