FXcuisine.com
Joined 7186 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 17
16 November 2009 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
A number of people publish Youtube videos where they speak in all the languages they know. This is quite impressive and something only the Internet made possible. What do you think of these Youtube Polyglots? Are they for real? Do they speak only a few words of their language or are they really fluent? Would you be brave enough to expose your language skills for all the criticize or nitpick on your accent? Which of these Youtube polyglot video inspired you most?
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 17
16 November 2009 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Let me give the forum members some additional information on this topic:

The You Tube project is a community of polyglots who interact with each other a lot. They give feedback to each other's videos and those who participate in this game can receive a lot of encouraging support. Such a negative thing as nitpicking happens only in ecceptional cases.

It's like networking among polyglots. Some of them give language lessons in their videos, others just hold speaches in their foreign languages, others present a potpourri of different languages in one single video and others give interviews in one or more languages.

It's not meant as a competition and normal language learners use the contact with these polyglots to get advice and inspiration for their own language learning. It's perhaps difficult to understand what's really going on in this polyglot community, if somebody is just an "accidental visitor" of such videos.

And of course, you don't have to be a polyglot to upload interesting language learning videos on You Tube. If you only speak one or two foreign languages, it's fine as well!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 17 November 2009 at 9:47am

3 persons have voted this message useful

qklilx
United States
Joined 5996 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 17
16 November 2009 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I think it's fascinating. I love to watch a video of a person authentically speaking several languages. Even if they aren't fluent in any of them something can still be said about them having learned what they did. The videos can be boring at times though. I think when there is only one language being used and the person has nothing particularly interesting to say then watching the whole thing becomes tiresome except for the native speakers of the language, who might be marveled at the foreigner using their language.

I would be brave enough. In fact I'm hoping to get a video up of me using Korean sometime this week, but we'll see how my scheduling all falls into place.

global_gizzy
United States
maxcollege.blogspot.
Joined 5513 days ago

275 posts - 310 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 17
17 November 2009 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
I love watching other polyglots on Youtube the only names I can remember and write off the top of my head are Moses McCormick, Wendy Vo and ProfASAr, but there are several others. I think I mis-spelled those other 2 names.

My webcamera doesn't work but I am trying to get it all sorted out because I'd like to start making videos of me reading/speaking other languages so I can get help with my accent.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6246 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 17
17 November 2009 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
global_gizzy wrote:
I love watching other polyglots on Youtube the only names I can remember and write off the top of my head are Moses McCormick, Wendy Vo and ProfASAr, but there are several others. I think I mis-spelled those other 2 names.

My webcamera doesn't work but I am trying to get it all sorted out because I'd like to start making videos of me reading/speaking other languages so I can get help with my accent.

And of course, we shouldn't forget our own moderator, Fasulye. :)

I don't think any of these people are ones who are just exaggerating their skills. They are genuinely interested in languages they learn, and they just want to receive some feedback from other learners. It's a benevolent internet phenomenon, I should say.
2 persons have voted this message useful

m32amir
Heptaglot
Groupie
Canada
youtube.com/user/m32Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5460 days ago

53 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, English, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Turkish, Mandarin

Message 6 of 17
18 November 2009 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
Quote:

And of course, we shouldn't forget our own moderator, Fasulye. :)

For sure, the thing I like about watching multilingual videos on youtube is that you always see some new ideas and approaches. We've seen some great videos when polyglots record themselves holding a speech in foreign languages but Fasulye's idea is that it's better to be interviewed rather that talking freely.

Not so long ago I came across this channel: Langhopeful   The guy has a great attitude. I would agree that it's necessary to concentrate on one language (maximum 2) and stick with it for a while. So he will be uploading videos of himself speaking in Spanish until he reaches 100 mark.

I was thinking to adopt this technique and do something similar for French and German.

Edited by m32amir on 18 November 2009 at 6:28am

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6413 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 17
19 November 2009 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
m32amir wrote:

Not so long ago I came across this channel: Langhopeful   The guy has a great attitude. I would agree that

I hadn't seen him before. A similar YouTuber (one language, many videos) is Kerokerorin813, a young girl from Chicago who has been teaching herself Japanese. My Japanese is nearly nonexistent, so I can't comment on her skills or proficiency level, but once she gets going she sounds quite fluent.

I enjoy browsing around some of these channels occasionally. A couple favorites of mine are Professor Arguelles and Torbyrne.

Me has to learn
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5367 days ago

64 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 8 of 17
19 November 2009 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
A video by Richard Simcott that introduces polyglots on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9wKXGbyNbs

As far as who inspired me the most, I go for Prof. Arguelles because he shows in his videos that you can learn languages independently and are not bound to a teacher and a classroom setting. Furthermore he shows valuable study material and explains his techniques elaborately.

Edited by Me has to learn on 19 November 2009 at 11:55pm

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version