13 messages over 2 pages: 1
maaku
United States
Joined 5384 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 13
24 November 2009 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
On that note, I'll add something I thought about saying earlier but decided it'd be too controversial: Assimil should really be split into three waves. The first wave as it stands in the directions, the second wave with the addition of production SRS, and a final "shadowing" wave that follows behind that. That is a killer combination.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jabes
United States
Joined 6256 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 13
07 January 2012 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
I apologize for reviving this 2yr old thread, but I am interested in the recommendations
given and have a question. There is mention of a study method called "production SRS".
I cannot find that phrase mentioned anywhere else. Is this different from the typical SRS
programs or is it a specific computer programs? Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 13
07 January 2012 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
It means that if you're using an SRS program (Anki, Supermemo etc.), you should change the "direction" of the cards. If you're not familiar with SRS, you can follow my explanation below (otherwise, ignore any irrelevant info).

Assume that you have Anki installed, and have a "deck" with a number of items (words, phrases, anything you've entered/imported). Typically, field 1 is your target language (Spanish?) and field 2 is your native language (or any other language you know well). The default setting is probably "recognition" which means that each card appears in Spanish first, and after you've clicked it, the English translation is shown (then you can grade your level, according to how well you "know" the card). Some prefer "recognition" before "production", for others it's the other way around. Any decent SRS program can enable you to change the settings (it's possible in Anki) without having to enter the same info twice.

Hope this helps.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5375 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 12 of 13
07 January 2012 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
I must confess that I find waiting 50 days for the active wave to be too long. As I never use Assimil first but go through MT or Pimsleur first, I normally have some knowledge of the frame of the language. With Assimil I begin reading it, lesson a day for 2 weeks and then start the active wave when I get to lesson 15. After the first week of the active wave (when I am on lesson 8 active) I do a second repeat of the active wave starting at lesson 1 each week for about 5 weeks (I use a pack of 5 coloured repositional note-it flags to mark my place) so that in all I do the active phase over 5 times. It takes a good deal longer but I find it speeds up thinking in the target language, fixes the vocabulary and irons out grammatical problems. Luckily I spend alot of time on trains, so I have the time to do this.

I also do written dictations from the lessons (normally about the third time around) to check my hearing comprehension and spelling.

Edited by Elexi on 07 January 2012 at 5:17pm

Jabes
United States
Joined 6256 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 13
08 January 2012 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
It means that if you're using an SRS program (Anki, Supermemo
etc.), you should change the "direction" of the cards. If you're not familiar with SRS,
you can follow my explanation below (otherwise, ignore any irrelevant info).

Assume that you have Anki installed, and have a "deck" with a number of items (words,
phrases, anything you've entered/imported). Typically, field 1 is your target language
(Spanish?) and field 2 is your native language (or any other language you know well).
The default setting is probably "recognition" which means that each card appears in
Spanish first, and after you've clicked it, the English translation is shown (then you
can grade your level, according to how well you "know" the card). Some prefer
"recognition" before "production", for others it's the other way around. Any decent SRS
program can enable you to change the settings (it's possible in Anki) without having to
enter the same info twice.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. That clears things up.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version