United States
Joined 5373 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 73 of 82
03 July 2010 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
An hour at most usually.

If I have nothing better to do, maybe two hours.

15-30 minutes for each language :)

a little goes a long way
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 74 of 82
03 July 2010 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
A little every day gets you moving, I find. I try for two hours, though in practice one hour is more likely to be achieved.

I agree with the common observation that you are better doing a little every day than a lot at intervals.

Kary
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5937 days ago

85 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish, German

Message 75 of 82
03 July 2010 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
An unsustainable amount of time right now. I couldn't say exactly how much, but it isn't intense studying. I've started to divide it up: mornings for German, afternoons for French, and evenings for Spanish. It's mainly studying with Anki plus some grammar (which leads to loading more cards into Anki). At this point, a lot of time is spent massaging the data in Anki - matching sound files to text. Soon, I hope to add reading which is a "portable" activity and can take advantage of travel and other wait time.

The idea is that, even when I get really busy again with other commitments, I'll be able to maintain with short 15-30 minutes focused attention each. *fingers crossed*

ChristianVlcek
Bilingual
Netherlands
Joined 5639 days ago

131 posts - 141 votes 
Studies: Slovak*, Ukrainian, Irish, German, Russian

Message 76 of 82
03 July 2010 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
I aim for 1 hour per language, but recently it has been working out to 3+ hours slovak, russian and German 0 hours apiece.
2 persons have voted this message useful

WuTongue
Quintilingual Heptaglot
Kuwait
dzp.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5047 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (classical)*, Arabic (Iraqi)*, Arabic (Gulf)*, Arabic (Egyptian)*, EnglishC1, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 77 of 82
03 July 2010 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone, my first post here.

I used to study a maximum of two hours a day when I first started with Mandarin two months ago. Once I got into writing and reading the Chinese characters, my study time increased to about five hours a day. Now although I only know about seventy characters, I am really struggling in remembering their names and meanings. Therefore, five hours a day is just enough to overcome these obstacles I'm facing.

pineappleboom
Groupie
United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5041 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Japanese, French, Russian

Message 78 of 82
05 September 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I try to do 2 hours a day, but it is spread out throughout the day. I wake up early to study before school, and in the evening before i go to sleep.

vexx
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5006 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 79 of 82
06 September 2010 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to try and do 1-2hours for Italian and 1-2hrs for Latin from december onwards, probably miss a few days
here and there but that's ok.
Italian; 1-2hrs of just Assimil, MT or L-R Texts
Latin; 10-45min memorising word lists+review, 30min grammar books, 30min LL/real texts
Yay!

Edited by vexx on 06 September 2010 at 12:21pm

Lexii
United States
Joined 5010 days ago

162 posts - 194 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 80 of 82
06 September 2010 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Currently, I'm doing about 4-5 hours a day in direct and indirect study ("indirect" being things like researching topics of interest, watching Japanese movies, etc.). Studying Japanese has become a bona-fide hobby for me, so that time is generally quite enjoyable. Of course, it's spread out over the day. This morning, for example, I would not allow myself to have any coffee until I expressed the desire for coffee in Japanese. Tomorrow, perhaps, I won't have coffee until I tell someone else in the family that I want coffee. I need more speaking practice :).

WuTongue wrote:
Hello everyone, my first post here...

Hello WuTongue! Sounds like you're progressing well with your studies!

Edited by Lexii on 06 September 2010 at 4:10pm

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version