Joined 6353 days ago

234 posts - 248 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 8
25 November 2009 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
Hey all,

I've been searching the forum for this topic where they discuss FSI Turkish and to what extent it's outdated or not. But, I can't find it and I'm wondering how useful the course still is.

I'm not planning to use it as my main course (I'm already using TY beginner's Turkish and TY Turkish for that, along with a massive amount of input in the form of music and television), but I do want to use it to collect sentences from.

So if anyone can give me the link to the topic or can tell me how useful the course still is?

Thank you in advance.
1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7165 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 8
25 November 2009 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Could you perhaps link to an extract of that course so that native Turkish speakers (who have never used FSI Turkish) could also let us know of their appraisal. I think there are various legal versions available online. Thank you!

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6228 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 8
25 November 2009 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
It's been discussed before on this forum.

Disclaimer: I've never downloaded/used any of it, and I don't speak Turkish.

Frisco's 6-week challenge mentions dated vocabulary and points to Daristani's post about FSI Turkish, which ends up concluding that it's a good course and the dated vocabulary is a minor issue. The latter post also mentions other threads (not on this site) about the course.

More generally, there are some complaints that the audio quality is apparently 'fuzzy'.

2 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6933 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 4 of 8
25 November 2009 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
The question of the FSI courses' being "outdated" seems to come up quite frequently. I think it's probably not a very significant concern for most languages, and that the volume of the drills and the quality of the instructional materials more than make up for whatever few old-fashioned vocabulary items they might contain. Think of a "classic" film, such as, say, "Casablanca", made in the 1940s, i.e., decades before the FSI courses: How much of the language in it is "obsolete" or can't be understood today? So I think that, for most languages, this is not an issue, unless you're determined to talk only with teeny-boppers...

That said, Turkish has changed a bit more quickly than some languages, given the language reform movement, and so some vocabulary items used in the FSI course are less common today. But the basic language hasn't changed, and the value of the FSI Turkish materials is not in the words taught, but rather in the possibility they provide to assimilate the grammar via drills. Still, the question was discussed a bit in the "old" (original) FSI courses site, and you can read about it here:

http://archive.fsi-language-courses.org/forum_posts4504.html ?TID=401

Included in that discussion is a post in which I listed what I thought were the obsolete" or "less-used" words in FSI Turkish volume 1, with some follow-up comments by native speakers as well. (Note: For some reason, the quotation marks I wrote in my original post there seem to have shown up as question marks in the archived version, so I apologize for the mass of question marks littering that particular comment.)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Rmss
Triglot
Spain
spanish-only.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6353 days ago

234 posts - 248 votes 
3 sounds

Message 5 of 8
25 November 2009 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Thank you all. That are exactly the links I was looking for. Weird enough the search engine didn't gave them as results...

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5364 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 6 of 8
26 November 2009 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Just out of curiosity I downloaded one of the MP3's. The tracks are a little fuzzy...so I ran one through audacity and applied the speech chain. The file actually sounds nicer now, the volume went down a little but the sound is much more "crisp" and clear give it a try the FSI course while slightly outdated (or elegantly old fashioned at some say) still appears top notch and very comprehensive. Good luck! I hope to learn a non indo-european language to someday...

Rmss
Triglot
Spain
spanish-only.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6353 days ago

234 posts - 248 votes 
3 sounds

Message 7 of 8
26 November 2009 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
Hm, personally I don't think the audio is that bad. Without editting the files I can understand it perfectly.

Lemus
Diglot
United States
Joined 6170 days ago

232 posts - 266 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Russian, German

Message 8 of 8
27 November 2009 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
The question of the FSI courses' being "outdated" seems to come up quite frequently. I think it's probably not a very significant concern for most languages, and that the volume of the drills and the quality of the instructional materials more than make up for whatever few old-fashioned vocabulary items they might contain. Think of a "classic" film, such as, say, "Casablanca", made in the 1940s, i.e., decades before the FSI courses: How much of the language in it is "obsolete" or can't be understood today? So I think that, for most languages, this is not an issue, unless you're determined to talk only with teeny-boppers...

This is a very good point. I just want to chip in the "classic" film the language of FSI Turkish most resembles is the James Bond flick From Russia with Love from back in the 60's. I briefly used the course and later watched the film. The greetings were nearly identical (the film is set in 60's Istanbul, for those unfamiliar with it).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version