Marj
United States
Joined 6385 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 17 of 33
06 March 2010 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Well, I've certainly been lazy about posting my studies.
Update for Jan. 25--Feb. 1
Mandarin--.25 hrs. on the DS.
French--1.75 hrs., mostly French in Action and some DS.
Spanish--1.5 hrs., just DS while doing some waiting.
German--none
Italian--none
Esperanto--none
Irish--none
Russian--none
Only 3.5 hours for the week.

Update for Feb 2--Feb 7
Mandarin--.5 hrs on my DS
French--.5 hrs. on my DS, .5 hrs. on French in Action
Spanish--1.25 hrs. all on my DS
German--none
Italian--none
Esperanto--none
Irish--none
Russian--none
This was a total of 2.75 hours this week, all but .5 hours on the DS.

1 person has voted this message useful

Marj
United States
Joined 6385 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 

Message 18 of 33
06 March 2010 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
Update for Feb. 8--Feb. 14
Worse than last week.
Mandarin--none
French--.5 hrs. on my DS, .5 hrs. on French in Action
Spanish--none
German--did .5 hr. with online lessons.
Italian--none
Esperanto--none
Irish--none
Russian--none
This gives me a total of 1.5 hours for this week.

Update for Feb 15--Feb 22
Mandarin--none
French--1.25 hrs. on my DS
Spanish--.75 hrs. some on my DS, the rest watching Spanish tv. I believe my listening is getting better, I seem to be hearing more words I know.
German--none
Italian--none
Esperanto--none
Irish--none
Russian--none
This gives me 2 hours studying for this week.

Marj
United States
Joined 6385 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 

Message 19 of 33
06 March 2010 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Update for Feb 23--Feb. 28
Mandarin--.75 hours on my DS
French--none this week.
Spanish--.5 hours of watching TV
German--none
Italian--none
Esperanto--none
Irish--none
Russian--none
This is only a total of 1.25 hours for the week. Sad.

Update for March 1--March 5
Mandarin--none
French--.5 hrs. on my DS.
Spanish--.75 on my DS
German--none
Italian--none
Esperanto--none
Irish--none
Russian--none
Only 1.25 hours again.

Not great, but I'm beginning to feel more like studying again. I think I will do much better this week. I'm going to start Michel Thomas for Spanish, and see how it compares to the French. When doing Michel Thomas for French, I found in very motivating, hopefully this will motivate me to study my Spanish more!

I will see if I can find my Assimil books for French and Spanish, maybe even the Mandarin. I'm also going to make an effort to take the DS or something with me when we go shopping. I seem to spend a lot of time waiting, I should put that time to better use.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6289 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 20 of 33
06 March 2010 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Look at how Doviende is keeping track of time using spreadsheets. I successfully started
using this method to vastly improve the amount of time I spend studying and working. It's
still not where I want it to be though.

Marj
United States
Joined 6385 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 

Message 21 of 33
08 March 2010 at 1:01am | IP Logged 

Sprachprofi, thanks for sharing the info on Doveinde. I think I'm going to have to do something like that, just to keep track of what I'm doing right now.

I think my wanderlust has been helpful to me--I've checked out the Russian alphabet, and have decided to put Russian on the back burner for a while, did some Irish and found I didn't really feel like putting in more time on that for a while, and the same for Esperanto.

So I think I'm going to limit my wanderlust for a while between French, Spanish, Mandarin, German, and Italian, as the mood strikes me. For the last few weeks, Spanish, French and Mandarin have been calling my name (not loudly, but persistently). But today I've felt Italian and German starting to mumble to me--unfortunately for them, all I had with me today was Spanish materials. I think I will do a little something in German before going to bed, and maybe start tomorrow with a little Italian.

Marj
United States
Joined 6385 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 

Message 22 of 33
13 March 2010 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
Well, I've been feeling more energetic the last few days, so have been spending time doing some major spring cleaning. Along with this, I've started to organize my language learning resources. This is going to take a while.
But, along with this, I've also wanted to play with my languages a little more than I have over the last few weeks. So, while organizing I sampled a few of my resources--a little Arabic, a little Italian, a little Greek. Spent some time looking at a book in Spanish. Altogether, I spent about an hour or so amusing myself, not really studying. But I also did spend more time than I have for a while actually studying.

Update for Mar. 6-Mar.12.
Spanish-spent .75 hrs. on this, starting Michel Thomas Beginners.
German--1 hour, doing some GermanPod101 newbie lessons. This was a review, the same lessons I had done during December, but they seemed much easier this time around.
French--1.5 hrs. I did the first French in Action (FIA) video, and spent an hour reading Agatha Chistie's Nemesis in French. This is slow going, I can only do 20 minutes or so at a time, I really have to concentrate. But I'm surprised at how well it's going. I pretty familiar with the story, and I actually either know or can figure out quite a few of the words, so I'm getting the gist of it pretty well.
I think I'm going to run through the Michel Thomas Beginner review cds again, to refresh my French a little, and maybe start the Advanced again. I feel like I've really made progress in French over the last year. I'm certainly not fluent, but I feel I have a pretty good base now.
Italian--1 hr. with Instant Immersion. It's fun, I don't know that I'm really learning anything, but I'm enjoying it.
Total for week--4.25 hrs. Not much, but it's much more time than I've been spending on my languages for several weeks.
Hmmmmm. It doesn't appear I've used my DS at all this week. Strange, I usually grab that when I have the urge to play with my languages. Maybe I'm winding down my wanderlust and will actually begin to do some real studying. I'll have to see how it goes in the next couple of weeks.

Marj
United States
Joined 6385 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 

Message 23 of 33
20 March 2010 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Update for Mar. 13-Mar. 19.
This week was really busy with non-language learning commitments. The local Historical Society is having an auction tomorrow, and I'm in charge of keeping track of the donations. Over half of our total donations came in this week, most over the last two days. Why do people insist on doing everything last minute? I guess I'm more of a plan-ahead type person. Anyway, all donations are tagged, stored, and in the database, and I did get some studying done.
Spanish--Spent 1.5 hours with Michel Thomas over three sessions. I'm happy with how the Spanish is moving along again.
German--wasn't in the mood for German this week. Did do about .5 hr. with Michel Thomas. I'll probably do the same tracks again the next time, my mind just wasn't into German this week at all.
French--I was, however, in the mood for French. Did several of the FIA videos. Spent about 2.5 hours with the videos, and a little time with the FIA book, but didn't keep track of that. I also read a little in Agatha Christie's Nemesis, but not long. I think I started too late in the evening, and was too tired to concentrate.
No Mandarin, no Italian. Didn't even think of them when I was in the mood to study something. Maybe next week.

Marj
United States
Joined 6385 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 

Message 24 of 33
03 April 2010 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Well, I picked up some kind of a stomach illness, and was very sick from Friday night til Wednesday afternoon. I felt a little better Thursday and Friday, but didn't really feel like myself until Tuesday or Wednesday this week, and spent several days trying to catch up on personal responsibilities. So I did almost not studying the last two weeks.

Update for Mar. 20-26.
French--only about an hour on the DS. I'm a High School freshman, according to this.
Spanish--.5 hour on the DS. I'm not sure, I think I'm eighth grade in this.
Total for week--1.5 hr.

Update for Mar. 27-April 2.
French--spent about 1 hour on FIA, and another .5 hour on the DS. I watched lesson 9 in FIA. I may have to watch this again, as I had a lot of trouble understanding most of this. I just couldn't seem to concentrate this week.
Spanish--.75 hr. with Michel Thomas. Finished CD 2.
German--.5 hr. with Assimil. Passive stage, lesson 3.
Total for week--2.25 hr.

Not much, but I was surprised when I checked my notes that I had done as much as I had. I was thinking I had done no more than .5 the first week, as I was so sick, and the second week was in little bits of time, so I was surprised it was over 2 hours in total. I'm hoping I will have more time to study, but will be having my grandson for a few days starting tomorrow, and he takes a lot of attention--and he just plain tires me out with all of his energy.
But even with him here, I hope to get at least 5 hr. of studying done this coming week. I hope.

Edited by Marj on 03 April 2010 at 9:53pm

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version